Wednesday 7 February 2024

How much?!

Antiques Roadshow viewers appear to be thrilled by the same things happening every week. To get the most out of the show, these entirely predictable events should shock you to the core.

They weren’t expecting it to be worth that much!
Well done, you have correctly identified the main idea on which the programme is predicated. Now go and watch Call the Midwife and be blown away by the fact that it’s about midwives. Again!

Being old makes some things more valuable!
Amazing, isn’t it? Old things are usually worth less, like your brother-in-law Derek’s 1991 Peugeot 205. It was only worth 120 quid for scrap. Maybe it was something to do with the Peugeot not being a painting by Sir Edwin Landseer.

Imagine getting £15,000 for a table!
Yes, £15,000 is a decent sum of money. However Brian and Pauline from Chester aren’t exactly entering the superyachts-and-models world of a Saudi prince. That’s probably why Brian looks so miserable.

Fiona Bruce looks a lot older now.
Yes, she does look older than when she first started presenting TV programmes 32 years ago in 1992. Do you look at photos of yourself as a child and go: ‘MY GOD! I’VE TURNED INTO A GIANT!’?

It’s modern but it’s an antique!
You’re absolutely right. That rare German glassware only dates back to the 1970s but it’s worth several thousand pounds. Maybe something can be valuable even if archaeologists didn’t find it in Julius Caesar’s house?

Look how big that stately home is!
Yes. Do you know why? Because slavery was very profitable. You buy the slaves very cheap and sell them at a big profit because they won’t cost their new owner a penny in wages. Everyone’s a winner. Also, during the Industrial Revolution if one of your workers had an accident the only compensation they got was five minutes off to look for their severed finger.

Who’d want that in their house?
It’s hard to deny those baroque nudes are somewhat more ‘chunky’ than, say, Margot Robbie. However that’s due to tastes changing over time. Rembrandt probably wouldn’t have wanted your Mr Bean bobblehead in his house either.

I might have something worth £20,000 in my loft!
You don’t. Unless a roll of old carpet and a broken Swingball set are worth 10 grand apiece.

The Daily Mash

Of course.

21 comments:

  1. It is without doubt a horrible, horrible programme but ITV's equivalents are much worse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adore Antiques Roadshow!!!!! Jx

      Delete
    2. I hate it but I can see how it's Reithian. I have the same opinion of the Archers

      Delete
  2. I love AR! And the thing I like best about it are the reactions of old ladies. Nobody does Utterly Unimpressed like a 70 year old London housewife. Her Carolingian diamond ball gag is worth several million pounds? "Oh. Very nice. *sniff*"
    I LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely "a certain look" when one of the valuers breaks the news that Auntie Maud's treasured heirloom is actually a Hong Kong knock-off. We love it! Jx

      Delete
    2. Well in the Chinese version, a little man is always present with a wooden mallet to crush all knockoffs. No I am not kidding.

      Delete
  3. Its like "Finding Your Roots" with Dr. Lewis Gates, who I have met and call Skip. We have a drinking game, you take a stiff drink every time he asks his guests "How does that make you feel," when a revelation is made. By about fifty minutes into it, you are totally stinko.
    This past season he had LeVar Burton on and it was one big reveal as he shepherded down the trail of genealogical wonder and self revelation but with one BIG problem.
    You see, LeVar was a Key Note Speaker at RootsTech a couple years ago. And the FamilySearch people gave him a genealogical tree, too. And I know the amount of work they put into it.
    Still, to come this season is Dionne Warwick. And it won't be "What's it All About, Alfie" Dionne, but Salem menthol smoking, grey sweaty suit wearing Dionne. So it could be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can quite understand creating a drinking game around such predictable cliches in popular shows.

      We don't get, of course, the US Finding Your Roots show - we have the original, archive-research-based Who Do You Think You Are? [however, a much more recent daytime telly "let's-have-a-close-up-on-people-crying" programme DNA Family Secrets did have a two-series run]. Jx

      Delete
  4. It's been a long time since I've watched Antique Roadshow! You remind me though of another show that I found a few years back and now I can't remember what it was called! Three British men that each had a specific set of skills did restorations of family heirlooms. I love to see things restored and the reveals of before and after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I just popped over to Savannah's and she was mentioning the show, The Repair Shop! How serendipitous!

      Delete
    2. Would that be "The Repair Shop"? Coincidentally, Savvy has been saying it's so calming, it's good for her blood pressure... Jx

      Delete
    3. Your second comment went to junk, Melanie, hence my response now makes little sense... Jx

      Delete
  5. Damn it, I was counting on the broken swing ball set to boost my pension.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Off to bed with a murder mystery and my Main Man tonight. Everything on telly is from that treasure chest they call "repeats." (I'm hoping The M M has repeats in mind...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are loads of repeats clogging our airways here too. It was ever thus... Jx

      Delete
  7. But I do look at photos of myself as a child and say "MY GOD! I’VE TURNED INTO A GIANT!"

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]