Thursday 1 February 2024

The dance of love?

2024 marks the 70th anniversary of the explosion on an unsuspecting world of Rock'n'Roll [well, commercially, anyhow], courtesy of Bill Haley and his Comets. This remarkable youth movement outraged the hitherto prim and proper 1950s [helped, no doubt, by the parallel post-war advances in electric instruments, recording technology, television and movies], and begat the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Eddie Cochran - and of course, Elvis.

I was never a fan of his [nor particularly of the whole genre, to be honest] but today - after a bitch of a day - even I am more than happy to feature the "King of Rock and Roll", when he's been mashed-up so brilliantly!

Thanks to Madam Arcati for stumbling across this one...

I feel better already.

12 comments:

  1. Rock'n'Roll für immer !
    Trotz des kommunistischen Regimes und seiner Autoritäten gab es in der DDR wie im Rest der Welt seit 1954 eine Rock'n'Roll Musik-kultur.
    In 1959 wurde der Rockmusik stark unterdruckt, doch 1964, als die britisch Musikinvasion die Welt im Sturm eroberte, gab das Regime widerwillig nach. :)
    In der 50er und 60er Jahren konnten Musiker der DDR in Jugoslawien westliche Musikinstrumente kaufen.
    (vvs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “So stark ist der Zauber der Musik und, immer mächtiger werdend, musste er jede Fessel einer andern Kunst zerreißen." - E.T.A. Hoffmann

      Jx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Do you have blue suede shoes, Mitchell? Jx

      Delete
    2. Not a rock and roll “fashion” fan. Although I did once almost buy blue suede shoes because I thought it would be funny. Almost.

      Delete
    3. I had a pair once, but it was the 1980s... [And they weren't "rock'n'roll style".] Jx

      Delete
  3. Bloody hell! When I saw the title of your post I thought yo were going to write...something???... about Edey Gorme. And I got this. My least favourites, except for Freddy Mercury, who had a fabulous voice. Well, blow me down an' swaggle me turnips!
    Haven't laughed so hard since last week. That is a bloody good mash-up. Kudos to the Madame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved Eydie Gormé!

      It's a brilliant mash-up, indeed... Jx

      Delete
  4. Dear, I think Bill Haley burned bright across the firmament of music SEVENTY years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrifying, but true - I have amended the post accordingly! Jx

      Delete
  5. It is a good one isn't it.
    So glad you all enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]