Tuesday 13 February 2024

There are worse things I could do

It's a day of "milestone birthdays" today, dear reader - the eternally elfin Robbie Williams is (gulp!) 50 years old, Jerry Springer would have been 80, and the lovely George Segal would have been 90...

...but most significant of all, scarily, today is the simply faboo "friend of the gays" Miss Stockard Channing's 80th birthday!!

As I said way back in 2008:

One of my favourite actresses, she is probably best known for her tour de force part of Rizzo in Grease, but I particularly love her for her roles in To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar and for the made-for-TV drama Tidy Endings, in which she starred with the fantastic Harvey Fiersten [a film that to this day, shockingly, has never been released on DVD!].

After four decades in the business, Stockard went on to become a household name as the First Lady in The West Wing until the series ended in 2006. But we queens will always hold her close to our hearts when we sing along with this classic number:

Many happy returns, Stockard Channing (born Susan Antonia Williams Stockard, 13th February 1944)!

12 comments:

  1. Love me some Stockard Channing!!! One of my favorite songs from Grease. I see a lot on myself in that song. Sing it Rizzo!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been one of my anthems for years, dear... Jx

      Delete
  2. I've only ever seen her in Grease, at least she doesn't milk her character from Grease for all it's worth, like Didi Conn does and I'm glad to see from her IMDB that she is still active. Many years ago on a trip to Liverpool I gasped when I saw a once popular actress Margie Clarke selling hand creams on a market stall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Channing seems to be more active than poor Margi Clarke. I wonder what she's doing these days? Her last credit on IMDB was in 2014... Jx

      Delete
  3. Magnificent!! Thanks, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing her first movie, a Not bad comedy called The Girl Most Likely. Joan Rivers wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun and games trying to search it, as the results came up with two completely different films, one with Kristin Wiig and another with Jane Powell. Seems it was a made-for-TV effort that probably never made it to British telly... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]