Thursday 15 February 2024

As long as I remember who's wearing the trousers

Just because...

...I hadn't heard this immaculate piece of 1980s cool in ages, when I heard it on the radio the other day [it featured in the streaming TV-show-based-on-a-video-game "The Last Of Us", apparently]...

...and I have been singing it in my head all week...

...and it's just brilliant...

...and, in my interpretation of the lyrics, it's very homoerotic...

...let's head back to the heady days of 1987!

I'm taking a ride with my best friend
I hope he never lets me down again
He knows where he's taking me
Taking me where I want to be
I'm taking a ride with my best friend

We're flying high
We're watching the world pass us by
Never want to come down
Never want to put my feet back down on the ground

I'm taking a ride with my best friend
I hope he never lets me down again
Promises me I'm as safe as houses
As long as I remember who's wearing the trousers
I hope he never lets me down again

We're flying high
We're watching the world pass us by
Never want to come down
Never want to put my feet back down on the ground
We're flying high
We're watching the world pass us by
Never want to come down
Never want to put my feet back down on the ground

Never let me down
Never let me down
Never let me down
Never let me down

See the stars, they're shining bright
(Never let me down)
Everything's alright tonight
(Never let me down)
See the stars, they're shining bright
(Never let me down)
Everything's alright tonight
(Never let me down)

How the fuck can that be 37 years old this year?! That makes it the same age as Zac Efron, Hilary Duff, Andy Murray, Lionel Messi, Nicola Benedetti, Karen Gillan, Joss Stone and Novak Đoković...

Sigh.

[Read more about the making of this song]

6 comments:

  1. And now I’ll be off to a Depeche Mode rabbit hole. Haven’t thought of them for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pure class. So many great bands came out of that decade - Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Human League, Soft Cell and so on - I love 'em all! Jx

      Delete
  2. Sadly, I don't recall this song because in 1987, the Krewe were more into Punk, so carpool was slightly different musically. Of course, as the driver of said carpool, my choices leaned more to "classic" rock& roll! Thanks for sharing Depeche Mode with this old lady, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh. Punk was still going in 1987 in the States? It was all over and done with bar the shouting here by 1978... Jx

      Delete
  3. I am with savannah, I do not remeber this track at all, which is odd because I liked Depeche Mode.
    I checked to see what was going on in 1987 in the charts in case I was asleep;
    "Sometimes" by Erasure, "Is This Love?" by Alison Moyet and "I Want Your Sex" by George Michael were all there and I remember them!
    Very odd.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]