Friday, 24 July 2026

In your satin tights, fighting for our rights


Wheeee!

It's looming. Just one more day to grit one's teeth through, after another busy week...

In celebration of the fact the weekend - and party time!* - is almost here, I think it's time for a dance remix of the ineffably corny theme for that 70s fave Wonder Woman [featuring today's birthday girl Lynda Carter - who is (gulp!) 75 years old!]...

Thank Disco It's Friday!

I spent a lot of wasted time in 1975 spinning around, but never got those satin tights (fighting for our rights).

Have a good weekend, dear reader!

[*I say "party", but we are off to see the Queen Elizabeth II: Her Life in Style exhibition with Mother tomorrow, so that's as good as...]

18 comments:

  1. I don't know I'll be wearing satin tights, that might be a be revealing in my case, thought the boys would love it.... but I'll be fighting for our rights this weekend, at the last of the Pride events here. With some pub hops aferward.....

    Have a lovely weekend dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was good enough for Rudolph Nureyev...

      Pride does go on all summer somewhere in the world, doesn't it? Brighton Pride (headliners Raye and Diana Ross) is next weekend (and no, we're not going, as the Saturday is my sister's 60th birthday party!), and Amsterdam's famous Pride Canal Parade is also taking place on 1 August! [We've been twice, and it gets uncomfortably crowded, so I doubt we'll be going again unless we win the lottery and get a canalside apartment with a balcony...]

      Enjoy yours! Jx

      Delete
    2. "canalside apartment with a balcony.." could you even imagine the fun that would be...the sights alone.....

      Delete
  2. I had forgotten how smarmy that theme was! Isn’t it amazing how unrecognizable she was in her military disguise. Like two different people! It’s a Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DC superheroes and their "secret" identities were always so incomprehensible - I mean, one pair of glasses, and Superman looks nothing like he does in spandex!

      The theme tune was written by Charles Fox, who was also responsible for the equally cheesy themes for The Love Boat, Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. However - surprisingly - he also wrote Killing Me Softly, which is a classic! Jx

      Delete
  3. It probably wont feature in the "Style " exhibition, but I can tell you HM wore a simple blue-and-white check cotton dress in 1953. So there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure which queen was dressing-down in that frock, but I know that in 1953 the real HMQ was pretty much clad in high ceremonial vestments, that being her Coronation year... Jx

      Delete
    2. Indeed. Also her first major tour since accession and I was allowed to go on a school trip to wave the flag

      Delete
    3. How sweet. I will report back if I see a blue-and-white gingham dress amongst the display on offer... Jx

      Delete
  4. Ah, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman - I loved her and her theme song way back when. I even wrote in to Jim''ll Fix It asking if he could fix it for me to sit on her lap! Fortunately, my letter was passed over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I hope Her Majesty's stylish wardrobe is everything you could hope for and more!

      Delete
    2. Oh, gawd - Jim'll Fix It! In hindsight, whoever thought putting a creepy old man like him in charge of a load of wide-eyed innocent children? A different world... Jx

      Delete
    3. PS I'm looking forward to it immensely, and to seeing Mother as well.

      Delete
  5. Ha! I also have the relief of my Jim'll Fix It letter being dispatched to the paper basket! Something about meeting the Bay City Rollers, and nothing to do with Wonder Woman, or, the Queen's gingham dress!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a lucky escape! Savile's crimes were utterly horrendous, but the Rollers' Derek Longmuir was also arrested for possessing child porn images... Jx

      Delete
  6. How jolly was that! I loved wonder woman back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very silly programme, among a raft of others - like Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman and Charlie's Angel. We were glued to them all as kids. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]