Our Lilium speciosum var. rubrum is looking lovelier than ever this year!
And so, farewell then, the implausibly-named Plas Johnson, who I just discovered has died, a week short of his 95th birthday.
Who?! I hear you ask, dear reader!
OK, he was a saxophonist and session musician who played on records by myriad artists such as B.B. King, Peggy Lee, Nat "King" Cole, Frank Sinatra, Duane Eddy, Ricky Nelson and Bobby Vee...
...but it was for this that he is most well-known [well his playing is, if not his name]!
What a legacy!
I used to love trying to play that on my saxophone!! I didn't come close!!!
ReplyDeleteSx
You hep cat, you! I can't remember if you ever revealed before that you used to play the saxophone... Jx
DeletePS I note that the Google gnomes are at it again - this was posted when I got in from work yesterday, and it's still not in the Reading List. Damn them!
I probably don't mention my sax very often - I still have it but no longer play. I have a jaw issue that isn't compatible with playing a reed instrument.
DeleteThere used to be a facility in Blog settings where you could instantly send a current post to those signed up via email - it'd be faster than Follow.It, but yes, I don't know what Blogger are playing at - it's so random that it just doesn't make sense.
Sx
Shame - I had this weird picture in my head of you in the spotlight, playing the solos from Baker Street and Will You? to an adoring audience...
DeleteThere is still a facility to add email notifications direct from Blogger, but since it is the choice of the blog owner, not the recipient, I have never used it. I'd rather people have the choice whether or not to subscribe via Follow.It, and opt out as they see fit. Jx
Haha! When I practiced I imagined much the same for myself! The music books used to come with a CD to play along with so it was like saxophone karaoke!! I think the music books were actually called 'Spotlight'!!
DeleteAnyhow, I wouldn't mind receiving an email when you post, straight from your blog - though Feedly is working well for me at the moment. Some people might like to sign up for it given the mess Blogger is in.
Sx
Ha - They were Guest Spot music books.
DeleteSx
Saxophone karaoke? Eek! I found those books for sale online, if you're missing any... 🤣
DeleteI think I'd rather not start tweaking my settings at the moment, but I'll bear it in mind if ever I do (NB those settings do not link to blog profiles so would rely on revealing a personal email address). Jx
This reminds me: I have the Pink Panther cartoon collection on DVD somewhere. I must find it and give them a watch!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Lovely lily.
I used to love that show when I was young! Jx
DeletePS We've had that particular lily for years (some blowsier hybrids don't last that long in pots; diminishing returns and loads of offshoots), and this is the best show we've had from it. Reminder to self: must buy some more Martagon-type lilies - they always did well for us until the ferns they shared the pot with out-competed them and they never came back.
One of the coolest pieces of music ever. Gorgeous blooms.
ReplyDeleteI agree - it arrived in an era of cool film music (Mission Impossible, Ipcress File, Blow Up, Bond films and so on) , and remains one of the coolest!
DeleteThe blooms are scented, too... Jx
The Lilium speciosum var. rubrum! I love your French tickler!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd would you believe our nightly national news actually had the news of Plas's passing?!?!?
Tickle that, and you'd end up stained with orange pollen...
DeleteIt is remarkable what your news does and does not cover. Jx
Like me most people will have never heard of him but everyone knows the saxophone music on the Pink Panther theme.
ReplyDeleteIt is a timeless classic! Jx
Delete