Saturday, 22 August 2026

A lady doesn't wander all over the room and blow on some other guy's dice

I have spent hours again out in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers, continuing the task of trying to repot some plants that have spent the year trying to survive the multiple heatwaves we've had in London. For most of the summer it was enough of a job to keep them watered, let alone putting them into shock by taking them out of their pots, but now it's a lot cooler (but still decent temperatures) they need to get their roots into new compost before Autumn kicks in. It's a big job...

Here's a little something from the geniuses at Soft Tempo Lounge to ease my aching muscles...

Ah, that's better.

[Music: The Tony Monaco Trio - Luck be a Lady]

10 comments:

  1. A late summer repotting? I've never considered such a thing (an occasional autumn repot here and there, though). Which plants have been repotted in the Delores Delargo Gardens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before we went to Amsterdam, I did all the fuchsias that I bought in Spring that were in tiny pots. So far this time, I've done the Zantedeschia aethiopica [three tubers I planted in Spring that were practically climbing out of the pot with their fleshy roots], two brunnneras, some baby Salvia ulignosa and Verbena bonariensis and even gave a phlox a refresh [I normally leave those until Spring, but the poor thing had hardly any compost around its roots]. I've also done one Salvia "Amistad" and several small-leaf salvias (and will be doing the rest of those today). Their compost is exhausted and they're suffering in too-small pots - and all of them have plenty of growing season left to be able to cope with the move. Anything that doesn't get done by mid-September will have to wait until Spring. Jx

      Delete
  2. I think I should probably repot the first of our orchids. As for the music, I will now go through the entire soundtrack of Guys and Dolls! Sue me, sue me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orchids are funny buggers - you need to read up on your particular variety.

      Guys and Dolls is a great musical - we went to see it on stage way back in 2005, with Ewan McGregor as Sky Masterson! Jx

      Delete
  3. Well done and thank you and yes you do deserve a bit of Soft Temp.
    This one is a cracker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love Soft Tempo Lounge - and this "cruise ship version" of the Sinatra standard was just what the doctor ordered. Jx

      Delete
  4. I hope all your plants survive - don't worry, rain is on the way! We are already a lot greener here.
    Thank you for Soft Tempo Lounge!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it only ever rains at night, I'll be happy! Wishful thinking. Jx

      Delete
  5. Hopefully, Mr.Frost is heading north now so I hope to get some things out of pots and into garden/bigger pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - your Spring! The busiest time for us gardeners... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]