We at Dolores Delargo Towers have our black armbands on today, still reeling as we are at the very sad news that our Patron Saint of Big Wigs, Miss Dolly Parton has ascended the rhinestone-studded stairway to preside over the pinkness of Fabulon...
It cannot all be sad, however, when one remembers the great lady's wit, self-deprecating humour and sparkle. On losing a drag queen contest, she said:
“They had a bunch of Chers and Dollys that year, so I just over-exaggerated - made my beauty mark bigger, the eyes bigger, the hair bigger, everything. All these beautiful drag queens had worked for weeks and months getting their clothes. So I just got in the line and I just walked across, and they just thought I was some little short gay guy... I got the least applause.”
Such a great loss. There is little more I can offer, dear reader, but a wallow in some of her most beloved and memorable tunes...
RIP, Dolly.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a message - I value your comments!
[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]