Monday, 31 August 2026

Be Better, or Fackham!

A great time was had by all at our Film Club gathering yesterday! Between the nine of us, we brought far too much food as usual for the "picnic-substitute" buffet, but kept The Perseverance bar going strong - at times our gang upstairs in the function room were practically the only customers they had, but we're all pretty good session drinkers...

And the films on offer were both unexpectedly superb, too! First up was one I've wanted to see for ages - the autobiographic portrayal of the often-traumatic rise to fame of "national treasure" Robbie Williams, formerly of Take That:

I certainly wasn't expecting it to be as brilliantly done, nor quite such an emotional rollercoaster, as it was!

Our second film was one I had very little knowledge or expectation of. Described by critics as "Downton Abbey meets The Naked Gun," we were all pleasantly surprised - it was utterly hilarious!

Just what the doctor ordered.

Despite the fact that it is a Bank Holiday, I haven't forgotten that it is a Tacky Music Monday - so how about the very brief-but-faboo "musical soiree" from that very movie?

Have a good week, dear reader - dodge the showers...

20 comments:


  1. A sort of Noel Coward meets Max Miller offering. Yes I spluttered my coffee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came as just as much of a surprise to us while we were watching it yesterday, too! Jx

      Delete
  2. Since I only just arose about two hours ago after a late night of libations... and fairly packed, I'm enjoying the day. Both look like good viewing, although I'd enjoy the second more....the monkey, while I get what they were going for, might wear on me after a bit. But I'd watch both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because Robbie's story is so engaging, the fact he's portrayed as a chimp soon disappears into the background, surprisingly enough. I recommend both films wholeheartedly! Jx

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure what I just watched. Is Robbie AI? CGI? Or an actor? I hate that I doubt the authenticity of things so much these days. The Fackham House is something I could go for though! I hope you are well, Jon! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an actor under all that - Jonno Davies - but obviously the facial expressions are enhanced by CGI. I felt it worked!

      Fackham Hall is very, very funny indeed. We laughed until we had tears rolling down our cheeks! Jx

      Delete
  4. I've wanted to see both those films!! Especially Fackham Hall. Glad you had a good alternative Monday.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both worth seeking out, Ms Scarlet! Yesterday was a bit of a "non-event" - I started watering some plants that looked a bit wilted, then the rains came again... Frustratingly, the showers are heavy enough to deter us from wanting to be outside, but never enough to actually wet the pots. Jx

      Delete
  5. I have been considering A Better Man for a while, thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did, Mr Peenee! Jx

      Delete
  6. These both look so good. But I think I might have to see Fackham Hall without SG.I I’ve caught the wedding scene before without knowing what it was from and loved it (and these two arseholes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vicar and his sermon misreadings made us hoot! Jx

      Delete
  7. How cool, sweetpea! I'm going to look for the Robbie Williams movie! I loved that song back in the day! *wink* Great recommendations for movie week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fackham Hall looks interesting I'll watch out for that one. I don't like that phrase National Treasure there seems to be an over abundance of National Treasures these days, I heard Dawn French being called one the other week, she was doing one of her video rants, with a close up of her face, Ye God's! I used to like her but she's becoming a bore like her ex husband, talking of which I asked the maid if she'll be interested in going to see Lenny Henry at the Playhouse theatre in Liverpool next month, she told me to fuck off and that she would rather have intravitreal injections, without the numbing drops. There was something else I was going to mention but it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Everyone's a national treasure these days; you can't move for them. But there should only ever be one at a time. For years, it was Dame Thora Hird. After she died, it was going to be Judi Dench, but then Joanna Lumley saved the Gurkhas so she got the gig." - Victoria Wood

      You'll probably enjoy Fackham Hall. Lenny Henry isn't in it. Jx

      Delete
  9. It was a fab day 🥳. I haven't laughed so much in ages. Yes, a teeny bottle of wine had been imbibed, but I think it wold have been just as funny sober. We'll have to tihnk of something just as good for the next time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you insinuating that some alcoholic beverages may have passed one's lips, young lady? How very dare you!

      Yes it was a fab day, and two excellent choices of film! Jx

      Delete
  10. Excellent is the word.
    After seeing the horrific reality of how Robbie was treated exposed in the BBC documentary series Boybands Forever. I was truly touched and moved watching 'A Better Man' my eyes were more than a little moist.

    As for Fackham Hall, even the title made me laugh out load.
    I can't remember a film where I belly laughed all the way through like that.

    Both highly recommended, both Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on both points - an excellent double-bill, indeed. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]