Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Hang up the wigs

We at Dolores Delargo Towers have our black armbands on today, still reeling as we are at the very sad news that our Patron Saint of Big Wigs, Miss Dolly Parton has ascended the rhinestone-studded stairway to preside over the pinkness of Fabulon...

It cannot all be sad, however, when one remembers the great lady's wit, self-deprecating humour and sparkle. On losing a drag queen contest, she said:

“They had a bunch of Chers and Dollys that year, so I just over-exaggerated - made my beauty mark bigger, the eyes bigger, the hair bigger, everything. All these beautiful drag queens had worked for weeks and months getting their clothes. So I just got in the line and I just walked across, and they just thought I was some little short gay guy... I got the least applause.”

Such a great loss. There is little more I can offer, dear reader, but a wallow in some of her most beloved and memorable tunes...

RIP, Dolly.

16 comments:

  1. I was very sad to read the news - she was great in everything she did, and I bet she was fun to be with.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ver sad, indeed. I would love to have had a night out with Dolly - can you imagine the hi-jinks?! Jx

      Delete
  2. Sad news indeed.
    Thank you for not playing Me and Little Andy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted by Letter To Heaven - it makes me laugh out loud, every time! Jx

      Delete
  3. Yes, bedecked in black rhinestones here. All jokes aside I do have a black rhinestone flower brooch from back doing drag, a ravaged my boxes last night trying to locate it....and indeed will wear it on my dress shirt today in memory.

    Adored her and was a total inspiration for starting drag. Saw her in concert once and as an adolescent was a member of her fan club. Very depressing today. At least the great orange bastard of the orangutan in the White House at least told the country to fly flags at half staff. Finally, one good call me made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt the Tangerine Twat's gesture would have impressed Miss Parton much. She could tell a fraud playing to the gallery when she saw one. Jx

      Delete
    2. Not to mention he and the Party of Rot...as I call them...the republicans defunded her Imganimation Library program. Which was why she kicked in her own funds. What a woman!

      Delete
    3. What a woman, indeed! Jx

      Delete
  4. In an interview she was asked, how long does it take to do your hair - she replied, I don't know, I'm never there. She had great style and wit, such a loss...the wrong American 80-year old died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another of my favourite anecdotes of hers! Style and wit are definitely absent from public life, let alone politics, these days... The world's far less glossy now she's gone. Jx

      Delete
  5. While I'm not a fan of "shit-kickin' music" I admired the woman for the good things she did and the reasons she did them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked Country music, and still don't - apart from Dolly (and Tammy Wynette). Even as a kid, I was obviously gayer than a pink flamingo! Jx

      Delete
  6. The tributes have been deservedly endless including from the King.
    The King's Guard played '9 to 5' outside Buckingham Palace in tribute to Dolly

    The Royal Family wrote: “Remembering the late, great Dolly, who brought joy, comfort and inspiration to so many - including the millions of children given free books through her Imagination Library. We will always ❤️ you”.

    How fab is that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly - by Royal appointment! That is fab, indeed. Jx

      Delete
  7. And now a full on tribute during the Last night of the Proms.
    BBC Proms - To Dolly, With Love - BBC iPlayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-deserved - and it was superbly done, too. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]