Saturday 2 May 2020

Gets behind me and keeps giving me the shove again


[Our own "Mayday revels" last night were somewhat more "socially distanced", via Zoom]

A "new" discovery today!

Sharing the occasion (as she does) with a slew of famous names, such as Lorenz Hart, Donatella Versace, sex god David Beckham, David Suchet, Henry Hall, Bianca Jagger, Catherine the Great of Russia, Jerome K. Jerome, Alan Titchmarsh, Peggy Mount, Lesley Gore, Engelbert Humperdinck, the divine Christine Baranski [as featured here just this Thursday], Dr Benjamin Spock, Princess Charlotte and Lily Allen, the name Doris Fisher - who would have been 105 today - doesn't ring many bells...

However, this was a woman who, in an era dominated by male songwriters before the War, wrote a huge list of songs that were destined to become standards in "The Great American Songbook", including: Whispering Grass, You Always Hurt the One You Love, Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall, Invitation to the Blues, That Ole Devil Called Love, Tampico, Put the Blame on Mame and Amado Mio.

Who knew?

Anyway, I thought I'd take this opportunity (as is my wont) to celebrate the lady's talents by playing a few of my favourites:





Doris Fisher (2nd May 1915 – 15th January 2003)

6 comments:

  1. I know the "tampico" song, but not the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very surprised you'd not heard the latter two (That Ole Devil Called Love was also sung by Billie Holiday, Tony Bennett and Ella Fitzgerald). Glad to help with expanding the musical repertoire! Jx

      Delete
  2. If I close my eyes and listen to Amado Mio I can imagine I'm in Cafe de Paris, Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife enjoying a long one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to the venue in question, but I can imagine closing my eyes and enjoying a long one to that song. Jx

      Delete
  3. I am with Mitzi
    I love 'Amado Mio' and imagine swanning around some glamours cocktail bar, some where exotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You imagine that, no matter what music is playing. Except perhaps Agadoo. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]