Friday 30 October 2020

Autumn winds blowin' outside the window

On this day in 1899 the Siege of Ladysmith began in the Boer War, in 1917 the Balfour Declaration (of support for the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine) was agreed, in 1938 Orson Welles broadcast his radio play of H. G. Wells's The War of the Worlds and caused a mass panic across the USA, and in 1973 the Bosphorus Bridge in Turkey (connecting the continents of Europe and Asia) was completed; a raft of assorted "names" were also born today, including Sir Christopher Wren, Grace Slick, Ruth Gordon, Charles Atlas, Stefan Dennis, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, Mario Testino, Henry Winkler, Diego Maradona, Michael Winner, Ruth Hussey, Gavin Rossdale, Ezra Pound, Harry Hamlin, Anna Wing, Juliet Stevenson and (ahem) Ivanka Trump...

...and our friend John-John!

Since it is also the end of another uninspiring week of work and no parties to go to, I reckon we can combine the birthday boy's ABBA obsession with something a bit more "dancy", courtesy of some tarts, a boat and a pool - and Thank Disco Electro House It's Friday!

Happy birthday, dear.

Have a great weekend, dear reader!

10 comments:

  1. Bless you my dear. Many thanks to you and Madame Arcarti for the fantabulosa card and present. Xx

    P.S get a load of the hairy fairy in the the pink Lycra! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, my dear! Jx

      PS I had a double-take and thought it was Tom Selleck at first.

      Delete
  2. Ah, happy birthday John-John! And happy weekend, Jon (it feels odd just writing your name once now...)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope John-John is still celebrating! Soz, am late.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too - probably still dancing with that hairy fairy! Jx

      Delete
  4. Haha. I’m did venture into town. It had a very strange atmosphere...almost like something is about to happen! I wonder what that could be! I wonder if Doris, oops, I mean Boris will enlighten us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed it might be a bit weird "popping to the pub" at the mo. At least Polari at the RVT was a bit organised.

      Unless Doris/Boris sends the troops onto the streets to force the ignorant masses to put their bloody masks on, there'll be no let up on lockdowns, I reckon... Jx

      Delete
  5. Hope you 'ABBA' fab Birthday John-John

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]