Monday 19 October 2020

I was born to be crass, a loud brassy tart

Where do those weekends go?

Hey ho, there's always something that can redeem the situation - for, sharing her celebrations with another bizarre mix of notables, including John le Carré, Sir Michael Gambon, George McCrae, Mavis Nicholson, Sinitta, Philip Pullman, Bernard Hepton, Verónica Castro, John Lithgow, George Nader, Peter Tosh, Jennifer Holliday, Trey Parker, Gloria Jones and Juanita Moore, today would have been the 75th anniversary of the birth of our Patron Saint of Sleaze - Divine!

On this Tacky Music Monday, let's revel in not just one, but two of Our Great Earth Mother's perhaps lesser-known musical extravaganzas...

And then, there's this! An anthem, methinks...

Cheap, cheap
I was born to be cheap, cheap
A child no mother could keep, cheap
As sure as there's trash
I was born to be cheap

I was born to be helpless, I was born to be cold
I was born to never do what I'm told
I was to be shallow, wasn't born to be deep
Of all the things I was to be cheap

Cheap, cheap
I was born to be cheap, cheap
A child no mother could keep, cheap
As sure as there's trash
I was born to be cheap

I was born to be crass, a loud brassy tart
No one can accuse me of having a heart
I was born too fast

I don't do it twice with anyone, GET CHEAP!

Cheap, cheap
I was born to be cheap, cheap
As I'm walking down the street, cheap
I'm always too much
I was born to be cheap!

Now, if that hasn't woken you up and got you ready for another week at the grindstone, nothing will.

Have a good week, dear reader!

Divine (born Harris Glenn Milstead, 19th October 1945 – 7th March 1988)

16 comments:

  1. Ru Paul can grind along as long as she wants, but none of that dog and pony show will ever rise to Divine's heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother Ru and those "girls" can only dream of being as talented or innovative. Jx

      Delete
  2. Yep, that did wake me up!! Thank you.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you brushing out your platinum "fright wig" in readiness to sing along... Jx

      Delete
  3. What wine? Is this a trick question? The answer, of course, is: ALL the wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crass, brassy, tarty wine - or just cheap? Jx

      Delete
  4. I love these "diva" posts, straight from Julie Andrews to this "lady." Wonder if they ever met?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it, but had she lived, Divine would have been fab in the remake of Mary Poppins. Jx

      Delete
    2. We tried to watch that but couldn't get into it. My kids love the original. I haven't seen it since school.

      I still can't believe they originally wanted Bette Davis to play Mary

      Delete
  5. for a minute there, I thought you were talking about ME (your blog title). it fits divine better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having that line made into a t-shirt! Jx

      Delete
  6. How the hell did I miss that performance back in the day, sweetpea???? What a way to start the week and with a new computer? Darling, I am in HEAVEN! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you been to the Water Rats' pub in Kings Cross? They have a poster of Divine behind the bar, next to Vampira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grays Inn Road's not an area I'm that familiar with. The Retro Bar near Charing Cross has/had [it's closed during the pandemic and no-one's sure if it will ever open again] photos of Divine, Vampira and everyone else plastered over its walls. Jx

      Delete
  8. We liked it, food was excellent and good value (my husband suggested it based on the price of the kids menu, he had not heard of the Water Rats. I only knew vaguely what they were. I thought of Nicholas parsons. Staff were very friendly. Playing motown and disco on the sound system. Couldn't recognise most of the celebs on the wall, an eclectic list that included Karl Marx and Lenin, plus various bands that had played there.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]