Thursday 1 October 2020

My ship's aglow with a million pearls

Today would have marked the centenary of Walter Matthau, and also the 90th birthday of Richard Harris. Former President Jimmy Carter (still with us) blows 96 candles out (if he has the puff), and eminent former ITN newsreader Sandy Gall is also having a "knees-up" at 93; other celebrants in the usual hotch-potch include George Peppard, Stanley Holloway, Randy Quaid, Tom Bosley, André Rieu, Brie Larson, Sandy Gall, Youssou N'Dour, Laurence Harvey, Earl Slick, Donny Hathaway, Keith Duffy, Harry Hill, Paul Dukas, Theresa May, Stella Stevens and King Henry III...

...and our Patron Saint of Niceness, Dame Julie Andrews (who is 85 today)!

By way of a celebration, how about a lovely medley of Kurt Weill songs sung by the Great Dame herself, with Andre Previn tinkling away at the ivories?

My ship has sails that are made of silk
The decks are trimmed with gold
And of jam and spice
There's a paradise
In the hold

My ship's aglow with a million pearls
And rubies fill each bin
The sun sits high
In a sapphire sky
When my ship comes in

I can wait the years
Till it appears
One fine day one spring
But the pearls and such
They won't mean much
If there's missing just one thing

I do not care if that day arrives
That dream need never be
If the ship I sing
Doesn't also bring
My own true love to me
If the ship I sing
Doesn't also bring
My own true love to me

That'll do nicely.

Many happy returns, Dame Julie Andrews DBE (born Julia Elizabeth Wells, 1st October 1935)

6 comments:

  1. Well, drat. Now I'm going to have to watch The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins, and it's not even Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. She is "practically perfect in every way." Jx

      Delete
  3. I wish a spoonful of sugar would make the virus go away.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just a spoonful of hydroxychloroquine makes the dexamethasone go down" doesn't scan very well. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]