Thursday 29 October 2020

Oh, fire, fire, fire*

Another legendary Diva, much cherished here at Dolores Delargo Towers, celebrates her 90th birthday today!

The magnificent Omara Portuondo [for it is she] has seen it all in her long career - her life spans the history of Cuban music from the 1940s to the present.

Having had some success as an actress, in the 1950s she began singing as part of an all-female group Quarteto Las d’Aida and the all-female Orquesta Anacaona, for whom she performed for fifteen years before going solo. Famously, however, it took until 1997 before the world "discovered" her talents, as part of the famous Buena Vista Social Club.

We fell in love with her self-titled solo album twenty years ago, and we adore her still. She's just completed a final World Tour (at nearly 90!), however, and we never did get to see her on stage... Sob.

I have (of course) lauded the lady before [see here and, particularly, here], but we can never have too much of a good thing...

Feliz cumpleaños, Señorita Omara Portuondo Peláez! (born 29th October 1930)

[*"Fire, fire, fire" = "Candela, candela, candela" in Spanish]

6 comments:

  1. I hope I'm up to doing a world tour when I'm 90. I do like an inspirational lady.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's astounding - and yes, when I am a very old lady, I would like to be singing Cuban songs to an adoring audience, too. Jx

      Delete
  2. Thank you, sweetpea, for some delicious music today! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, my dear - Señorita Portuondo is a joy for the senses. Jx

      Delete
  3. A thankfully still 'living legend'
    Fab choice of tracks. I particularly enjoyed the Sábanas Blancas video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great video - she was only 87 when she made that... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]