Saturday 3 October 2020

Einheit

Today (scarily) marks thirty years since the reunification of Germany, following the total collapse of the Soviet Eastern Bloc. Understandably, celebrations have been somewhat hampered by what maybe we should call today "the Trump virus", but nevertheless a significant milestone.

Never one to miss an opportunity, I thought I would focus, by way of celebration, on some of the - ahem - choicer musical gems I have featured over the years that originated in the Land of the Franks...

First up, perhaps our favourite Kraut-rocker, the utterly bizarre (and wonderful) Punk-turned-Big-Band-chanteuse Nina Hagen!

Here's a true classic from the late, sadly-missed Falco:

Another fave, the splendid Max Raabe (who we managed to get to see live in March this year, just weeks before lockdown), with his "tribute" to Britney...

The amazing, the unique, the irreplaceable, late, great Klaus Nomi:

And finally - possibly the weirdest clip in German cinematic history from the legendary Marika Rökk...

Gern geschehen.

Happy German Unity Day!

8 comments:

  1. That's a really moving photo, all those people celebrating. Even the worst things come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it well - an intensely emotional moment in history. Jx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Indeed - but at least among my selection of songs from Germany I declined to include David bloody Hasselhoff... Jx

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, that last video brought to mind The Singing Ringing Pear Tree - I don't know why - equally scary? Both made in the sixties?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they missed a trick by never doing The Singing Ringing Tree - The Musical, myself. Jx

      Delete
  4. Any thing you like
    as long as it is in
    German.

    A great day when the wall came down !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to play Fascinating Aida's excellent piss-take Lieder, but thought it might have been a step too far... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]