Monday 2 November 2020

Who is Marcia, anyhow?


Monday again...

Oh, pook. Back to working-from-home after a stormy, grey and horrid weekend - and despite the gales, now the sun's decided to shine! So unfair...

Never mind - it's another Tacky Music Monday, and I have another new diva discovery to share! Señorita Rosa Vicenta Montserrat Coscolín Figueras, better known as Gloria Lasso [for it is she] was a Spanish singer who had her biggest successes in her adopted country of France in the 1950s. At one stage she was apparently considered a rival for the divine Dalida but, needless to say, was soon eclipsed in that particular "battle".

Regardless, she did at least record her own Scopitone...

Having relocated to Mexico for several decades, she attempted a bit of a comeback in France in the 1980s, and it was quite apparent what market she was aiming for, given this tacky record sleeve:

Here she is, in a bizarre telly appearance [WTF is that girl "dancer" doing?!], performing this very song:

To complete the tribute, here's another version of the number (that I have featured before, twice, bien sûr). It's faboo, so I have no compunction in featuring it again...

That's made this Monday slightly better, n'est ce pas?

Have a good week, dear reader.

6 comments:

  1. Apologies, but I am rather taken with the Halloween Teletubbies! Nice find!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something is clearly wrong with Mondays. I mean, why aren't I lounging about in a red frock atop a pile of (faux) fur at the edge of some hot spring (or is it the moon - I can't quite tell) ??

    Actually, I can't see a drink, so maybe its not all it's cracked up to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they have bars on Venus? If not, I refuse to go!

      Mondays would be far better in a Scopitone world, however, I agree...

      Jx

      Delete
  3. Loved her Scopitone but had to go to You Tube to view it.
    Her Latin version of 'I could have danced all night' is rather fab by the way.
    She was fab in the 50's and 60's and perhaps she should have left it at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both her videos refuse to play embedded but at least the links work.

      I think a little more exploration of Señorita Lasso's back catalogue may be in order... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]