Saturday 14 November 2020

Divas, vaginas, oil lamps and sparkle

Happy (wet and gloomy) Diwali, dear reader! It's supposedly the Festival of Lights but I suspect, what with lockdown and the rotten weather, it is more likely to be the festival of brollies and cagoules...

The traditional oil-burner above is apparently called a "Diva", which makes it even more appealing to us at Dolores Delargo Towers - and gives me a perfect opportunity to play this (intentionally piss-taking) number:

Quite possibly the only song and dance number in history with the word "vagina" in its lyrics...

Satire aside, however, let's get back to the more traditional glamour, sparkle and silliness we always associate with Bollywood:

I'm tempted to take the curtains down and have a twirl across the lounge...

6 comments:

  1. I find these Bollywood song & dance numbers fascinating - probably because there's nothing like them in Euro-American productions. The costumes, jewellery, choreography, are all so wonderful!
    If it wasn't for working-from-home, I'd be in the office for Diwali where I could watch some traditional Indian dancing and try various dishes all thanks to the large percentage of Indian people I work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One wonders if your colleagues would have been singing about vaginas, too. I doubt it. Not in Norwich, surely!

      I've adored Bollywood dance extravaganzas ever since I was a tiny child, when they used to show segments - in colour, in the middle of an otherwise black and white show - on the early Sunday morning BBC programme for Asian people Nai Zindagi Naya Jeevan! Jx

      Delete
  2. The vagina song is wonderful!! And I agree with Mr Devine - Bollywood song and dance numbers are fascinating.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could watch them for hours - but then, Bollywood films are often four or five hours long..! Jx

      Delete
  3. The triumph of the light over darkness.

    Three cheers for Bollywood
    and
    Three cheers for Nai Zindagi Naya Jeevan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Koolhe, koolhe, hurre! [That's Hip, hip, hooray! in Hindi] Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]