Wednesday 20 January 2021

A million love songs later, and here I am

Probably one of the most prolific hit songwriters of recent generations, the genius (and "national treasure") that is Gary Barlow blows out fifty candles on his cake today! Gulp.

Inevitably "the one in the background" in the teenybop magazine photos of Take That, pushed aside by his prettier compatriots Robbie, Mark and Jason, he was of course the creative genius behind many of their biggest hits including Back for Good, Pray, Everything Changes, Shine, Never Forget, Patience, These Days, Why Can't I Wake Up With You and Babe (as well as myriad songs for his solo career and those of his bandmates, and for the likes of Donny Osmond, Reba McEntire, Blue, John Barrowman, Atomic Kitten and Agnetha Fältskog). Phew...

Here's a couple of his best:

...followed by a little trip down memory lane, to when the boys were all so much younger and prettier [weren't we all in 1992?]:

Many happy returns, Gary Barlow OBE (born 20th January 1971)

And, yes. I still would.

12 comments:

  1. Yesterday, a friend and I (in Canada) were watching a show from the UK in which Gary Barlow made a guest appearance. My friend asked me, "Who's Gary Barlow?" Needless to say, I had some explaining to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were Take That not a hit in Canuck-land, then? I know they never cracked 'Merka, but I've always had a fond thought they were massive everywhere else... Jx

      Delete
  2. "pushed aside by his prettier compatriots Robbie, Mark and Jason" - poor Gary. I always thought Mark and Robbie were kind of cute, but funny looking, and that Jason was the pretty one. Howard, however...

    Cwwwooooooaaaarrrrr!!!

    Howard was always the one for me. He was (and still is) Handsome - Howard looked/s like a Man! (And would probably be quite stern and make one "do" things...)

    Anyway, back to Gary. He really is quite a songwriter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Howard's "skanky dreadlocks" phase really put me off him. It was Mark for me, every time - but he hasn't aged very well, I do admit. Jx

      PS Without Mr Barlow, they'd all be nowt but male models...

      Delete
  3. It's not just Canada that missed this!
    I'll leave quietly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at their Aussie chart history, they seem to have done a lot better there so I'm surprised you haven't heard of them... Jx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hello stranger - Happy New Year!

      GB was never the sexiest, but I wouldn't kick him out of bed on a foggy morning... Jx

      Delete
    2. Happy February (almost)! Jx

      Delete
  5. He has written some great songs and hopefully will go on to write more.
    I have always thought he was rather sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]