Monday 14 June 2021

Don't thumb your nose, but take a tip from mine


Me when the alarm goes off. Obviously.

Oh, bollocks! Another fabulous - and really hot - weekend, pleasantly pottering in the garden and enjoying the scents of jasmine, roses and pinks, is over with a jolt. Back to the grind...

Not all is lost, however. Sharing a birthday with another odd assortment, including Che Guevara, Paul O'Grady, Steffi Graf, Boy George (60 today), Harriet Beecher Stowe, Archbishop of Monmouth Rowan Williams, Rod Argent, Lang Lang, Burl Ives, Antony Sher, Julie Felix, Sam Wanamaker, Alan Carr, Dorothy McGuire, Siobhán Donaghy of the Sugababes, and - erm - Trump...

...it would have been the multi-talented composer, songwriter and jazz pianist Cy Coleman's birthday today [read my tribute on what would have been his 80th way back in 2009]. Famed for his standards such as Witchcraft, Nobody Does It Like Me, It's Not Where You Start (It's Where You Finish), The Best Is Yet to Come and many more, and (of course) his magnum opus (with lyricist Dorothy Fields) the musical Sweet Charity, he also wrote (with Carolyn Leigh) the ill-fated musical Wildcat for Lucille Ball. It sank without trace, but, on this Tacky Music Monday, to cheer us all up a bit, here's the choon from it that did endure - and a house favourite here at Dolores Delargo Towers to perform it for us!


Hey look me over, lend me an ear
Fresh out of clover, mortgage up to here
Don't pass the plate folks, don't pass the cup
I figure whenever you're down and out, the only way is up
And I'll be up like a rosebud high on the vine
Don't thumb your nose, but take a tip from mine
I'm a little bit short of the elbow room, so let me get me some
And look out world, here I come

Nobody in the world was ever without a prayer
How can you win the world if nobody knows you're there?

Kid, when you need the crowd, the tickets are hard to sell
Still, you can lead the crowd if you can get up and yell

Hey look me over, lend me an ear
Fresh out of clover, mortgage up to here
I'm a little bit short of the elbow room, so let me get me some
And look out world, hear me shout world...
And look out world, here I come!

Have a good week, dear reader. I'll be taking plenty of fag breaks if the weather continues to be like this - and even if you don't smoke, I'd suggest you do too!

9 comments:

  1. Oh dear... I don't recognise any of the mentioned tunes (not evenWithcraft), except for one: The Best Is Yet To Come. And that's because it was performed on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine by Captain Sisko!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Philistine! I hereby sentence you to be confined to your room with several long-playing records including the soundtrack of Sweet Charity and Julie Wilson's Cy Coleman Songbook for as long as it takes... Jx

      Delete
  2. No, Bea... I won't be saying any of THAT... thank you very much. Dorothy McGuire intrigues me. And Boy George is 60. Say it isn't so. I rather adore him and... fear him? I mean, I can't imagine trying to be his friend. You'd be all like having a conversation, face to face on the sidewalk, all pleasant like... and then, as you walk away, you'd be wondering why there's blood spurting out of the side of your neck.

    You'd never see it coming. You'd just know it would... Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued why anyone would find a six-foot-tall son of an Irish bricklayer, with a penchant for dressing like a Geisha, in the least bit intimidating... :-)

      Jx

      Delete
  3. Boy George is 60. Let me just sit down and deal with that for a while.
    At least he got to that age - it was a bit touch and go for a moment in the eighties! Very pleased he's still with us.
    SX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along with Suggs, Lloyd Cole, Christopher Atkins of Blue Lagoon, both halves of Bananarama, both of Tears for Fears, Rory Bremner, Enya, pretty little Nick Heyward, Harry Enfield, Michael J. Fox, Martin Clunes, Alison Moyet, Vince Clarke, Martin Gore, Jimmy Somerville, Martin Kemp and The Karate Kid Ralph Macchio - and it would have been Princess Diana's 60th next month, too...

      We're all getting older, dear. Jx

      Delete
  4. Bea is / was more fab than fab !
    So pleased that we got to see her on stage.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]