Thursday 10 June 2021

You! You! You!


Our lovely Rosa "Veilchenblau" that I took as a cutting - read more here - is starting to put on a splendid show in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers!

There must have been something in the water one hundred and thirty years ago this week - for on consecutive days, two of the finest songwriters of the Great American Songbook were born. Yesterday, it was the incomparable Cole Porter - creator of myriad classics including Begin the Beguine, You're the Top, I Get a Kick Out of You, Easy to Love, I've Got You Under My Skin, Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love), In the Still of the Night, Too Darn Hot... and this one, memorably performed as a love duet between Kevin Kline and sex-god John Barrowman in the Porter biopic De-Lovely:

Today's birthday boy may not be as well remembered, but among Al Dubin's remarkable catalogue are standards such as I Only Have Eyes for You, Keep Young and Beautiful, Lullaby of Broadway, Tiptoe Through The Tulips, We're In the Money, September in the Rain, Lulu's Back in Town... and, from his triumphal musical [with Harry Warren] 42nd Street, this classic by Miss Bebe Daniels and her safety gays:

Fantabulosa!

15 comments:

  1. [From your first link back to May 2017] "that kind of stifling heat" - Ahah hah hah hah haaaaa! Yes, when May was warm.
    Anyway, yes, Veilchenblau really is splendid. Even without a prick (or several).

    I'm not really a John Barrowman fan, but that scene with Kevin Kline - Mmmm... Yes!

    P.S. I think I need some shiny satin culottes like Miss Daniels' for mowing the lawn in. Something nice and cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, May certainly was horrid this year.

      It is remarkable, that rose - not merely because I was incredibly proud that my very first attempt at a hardwood cutting survived. We moved it from its comfy sunny bed in the last place to the only spot in the current garden with (crap) soil, practically in full shade, and indeed it did look a bit sick as a consequence, but this year it's covered in blooms, has reached eight feet in length (it's leaning along the fence), and has sent out some very long new shoots to boot!

      I admit that John Barrowman is a bit "Marmite" for some people, but I would definitely give him a go! Jx

      PS Silver culottes? Found you a pair - hope they fit!

      Delete
    2. Keep in mind that Mr. DeVice is about 7 feet tall. Those culottes would be more of a mini skirt on him.

      Delete
    3. I await the photos, modelling said culottes, with glee! Jx

      Delete
    4. Sorry, there was too much glare from the fabric (and the expanse of snow white legs sticking out from it) - the photos were ruined.

      Delete
    5. Perseverance, dear... Your audience is waiting. Jx

      Delete
  2. One of her gays tucked his damn sweater into his pants creating the worst case of high waist I have ever seen. REVOKE HIS MEMBERSHIP CARD AT ONCE! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A far greater fashion faux pas has been committed by the one with braces over his sweater..! Jx

      Delete
  3. You're rose is beautiful! I'm glad the cutting was successful!

    I really like John Barrowman in Torchwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plant propagation has always fascinated me, and this one's a minor miracle!

      Having never got back into Doctor Who when it was rejuvenated, although I was aware of "Handsome Jack" and his sexy antics in Cardiff, I haven't actually seen Torchwood... Jx

      Delete
  4. I like John Barrowman. And shiny culottes.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I loves a bit of Bebe Daniels I do.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]