Friday 25 June 2021

Ac-shon!

Were it not for the machinations of a certain global pandemic, tomorrow would have been Gay Pride in London - our Gay Xmas has instead been moved to the most inappropriate date of 11th September [yes, that's right; a vast crowd of gayers congregating en masse in the West End on the 20th anniversary of the Twin Towers atrocity! That's not going to give any would-be terrorists any ideas, is it?]...

Far be it for me to miss an opportunity for a party, however, and I have decided that in the absence of a real event only a triple-bill of absolute classics from the most glitter-ball-strewn, joyful era of sweaty clubbing will do - so crank up the smoke machine, squeeze into your shiniest lycra, and Thank Disco It's Pride Eve Friday!!

Have a great weekend, dear reader - even if you're not planning to parade down Regent Street in glitter stilettos and hot pants with your face painted in rainbow colours!


Footnote:

As I said back in 2012, it was this remix version of the final song in today's triumvirate that became my absolute obsession two decades later:

10 comments:

  1. "Gayers congregating en masse" is the only kind of "en masse" I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boogie Oogie Oogie - I am not naturally a disco person, but I've always loved this!
    Have a great weekend! Brian Tilsley in the audience!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian Tilsley, Andy Gibb - never saw then in the same room together, did we?

      Have a Boogie Oogie Oogie weekend, Ms Scarlet! Jx

      Delete
  3. An odd date to choose, indeed. Ours is postponed until July 17 and 18. But no concert in the park, so I won't be attending. Thanks for the memories above. Alicia was such an interesting talent. Boogie Oogie actually had two big hits. And I totally remember that Karen Young remix! Enjoy your weekend, dear. Kizzes. Happy Pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've no idea what form Pride will take as yet, but I'd guess even by September they'll be cautious about doing a million-strong parade event. We'll wait and see.

      I looked up A Taste of Honey's discography, and it would appear they did indeed have another hit Sukiyaki in the US and Canada - but if it was released in the UK it never made it, so they are "one-hit wonders" as far as our chart is concerned. Jx

      Delete
  4. I do love the night life, or, rather, I did at one point. A very dim and distant point now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a very wise old queen of our acquaintance famously said: "At least you had it when you needed it!" Jx

      Delete
  5. Every one a Gay classic perfect for No Pride week-end.
    The remix is uber fab The original video has been disabled by the owner by the way
    Bring on September 11 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've fixed that - it would have played by clicking through to YouTube, but I replaced it anyway. As you say, a classic.

      Whatever scale or type of event 11th September brings, I'm sure we'll have a fab time! We always do. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]