Tuesday 8 June 2021

Every now and then I fall apart

“I’ve no intention of retiring! Look at the wonderful Sir Tom Jones. He’s got 10 years on me, his voice is awesome, and he’s still doing it. I like what I do."

We like what she does, too.

Many happy returns to the faboo Miss Bonnie Tyler - Welsh icon and doyenne of the dramatic power-ballad - who blows out seventy candles on her cake today!

I have played the piss-take "literal" version of her magnum opus many, many times before - not least in my tribute to the maestro behind it Jim Steinman on his death in April, and in my post celebrating "Our Gaynor"'s 65th - so I thought why not, for the first time, have the original..?

Bonnie Tyler (born Gaynor Hopkins, 8th June 1951)

12 comments:

  1. Adore her. I do a version of It's A Heartache in one of my sets. Total Eclipse... SMH. So odd. It makes me laugh these days. Village of the Damned eyes. Her voice is one of a kind. Thank you for sharing. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, you do your Bonnie tribute in full "big hair wig", with dry ice and a wind machine..? Jx

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard that name in an age. Always liked her music.

    I remember when I was little, I asked my mother why was she so hard looking? Gotta love little gay kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why's she so hard-looking? You've obviously never been to Swansea! Jx

      Delete
  3. Do you know, I don't think I've ever seen that video all the way though. I'm glad you featured it as it's reminded me that I need to venture into the east wing of Hexenhausli Device to feed and water The Boys (I'm going to shove the food under the door of the demon choir though - their eye-light is very unforgiving and makes me look far older than I actually am!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh - never seen that extravaganza?! The most OTT video ever? Mind you, I am more familiar with the "literal version" (as in the links). Jx

      Delete
    2. PS Just stand next to Bonnie. You'll feel like a young ingenue again.

      Delete
  4. Oh the memories that go with this song and video - mostly of a slightly broken heart. I think his name was Stuart.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did he have bright eyes? Jx

      Delete
    2. Puppy dog brown, and bright, of course.
      Sx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]