Sunday 20 June 2021

Of fuchsias, film reviews and family


Our hardiest-of-hardy fuchsias, "CJ Howlett" merely shrugs off the grey, drizzly weather (as it did our miserable Spring)...

It's been a lovely (if somewhat draining) weekend as The Mother ventured to London, the first time we'd seen her in more than eighteen months! I think she enjoyed it - she loved the company, the hugs, the chit-chat, the pub lunch, the visit to Zandra Rhodes' Fashion and Textile Museum, the cakes and scones, and our garden.

After all that, I think we need to just mong out on the the sofa and wallow in some tacky old movie or other. Who better to be our guide in such matters than Steve Hayes aka Tired Old Queen at the Movies?!

Campness abounds!

8 comments:

  1. The fuchsia and visit, looks and sound lovely. The apple didn't fall far from the tree I'm guessing?

    I myself enjoyed afternoon Bloody's on the river, and then came home to watch a marathon of Are You Being Served. On till the wee hours of morn too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother loves tending to her garden as much as I - you guessed correctly. And yes, the weekend's visit was lovely! I could do with another day off, however...

      I haven't watched Are You Being Served in forty years or more. I doubt I'll start again any time soon. Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh, such good fun. What a lovely movie guide. I adore old movies. They can be so stiff and the dialogue so brisk and clipped... I always imagine what it must have been like the day they were released to the public... what did they see when they watched? Cinema has come so very far in terms of style since then, we have all of that to use as a filter when we watch... but imagine untainted eyes watching... that's why the stars still hold their power. Joan Crawford, Bette Davis.. that power... can't be denied. Thanks for sharing. I am glad you had such a lovely time with your Mum. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to even begin to imagine a world where television was not the predominant medium of entertainment, and everyone went to the cinema. It must have been a magical experience, regardless of how shoddy the movie was. Having never heard of The Hurricane before this, however, I don't suppose the picture palaces were filled to the brim to see this! Jx

      Delete
  3. Take it easy today - that must have been a different and emotional sort of a weekend!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to "take it easy". Unfortunately, work just gets in the way! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]