Saturday 2 October 2021

I won't share you with another boy


Sharing a birthday as he does with another ill-matched collection of notables, such as Mahatma Gandhi, Donna Karan, Jan Morris, Groucho Marx, Annie Leibovitz, Trevor Brooking, Don McLean, Rex Reed, Phil Oakey, Graham Greene, Anna Ford and Mike Rutherford...

...Mr Gordon Sumner, better known as Sting, is 70 years old today! Gulp.

His voice may never have been the most melodic, he may have an ego the size of a planet, but when I was a hormonal teen and this spiky blond pixie-like figure arrived in the "New Wave" post-punk era, my heart (and groin) went all a-flutter!

I was particularly fond of this video...

He and his (then) chums in The Police amassed a long string of classic hits in the late 70s and into the 80s and many artists, including Grace Jones, UB40 and Mika among others, covered them. However, I need no further excuse, dear reader, to play my favourite version of their first hit...

Faboo.

Many happy returns, Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner CBE (born 2nd October 1951)!

14 comments:

  1. This hardly seems possible. I always thought he looked as if he was in need of a sound spanking. He became a bit musically pretentious, but resolved that nicely enough. His work is quite interesting. And I adore 'Fields of Gold.' kizzes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sound spanking? Oh, yes indeed. "Mr Sumner, to my office now!"

      Jx

      Delete
  2. Present-day Sting, sans lute, has morphed into Lord Vordemort. I'd still give him a go though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look a bit "Bond-villain-ish", I admit. But yes, I'd probably still give him a go, too. Jx

      Delete
  3. Sorry but... How does a groin flutter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best ask your man to explain that one. Jx

      Delete

  4. Happy Birthday to them all and to my sister today. She is in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought that was the highpoint of Moulin Rouge, although I would have preferred if they had just stuck with the tango. And wasn't Ewan McGregor pretty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favourite scene in the film, too - and Mr McGregor has always been near the top of my list of "objects of lust"... Jx

      Delete
  6. They were all pretty.
    Have you heard Sting's new song? I don't like it, it reminds me of something that Paul McCartney would do.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have likes anything he did once The Police split up... Jx

      Delete
  7. Don't forget Sting's turn in Dune clad only in a pair of space-Speedos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An unforgettable image! I never watched the film, though. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]