Sunday 16 October 2022

Fantasia

All last week our classical radio stations (BBC Radio 3, Classic FM and Scala Radio) have been celebrating the 150th anniversary of the birth of the venerable Ralph Vaughan Williams, one of the greatest British composers of the 20th century.

Son of a Welsh vicar, and descendant of both Josiah Wedgewood and Charles Darwin, it was no surprise that he was somewhat of a child prodigy, nor was it unexpected that his constant inquisitivesness led him on a quest to explore and reinterpret the vast tradition of British folk and classical musical history, as well as embracing the "modern".

I adore so many of his magnificent works, and as far as "Sunday Music" goes, there can be very few better ways to chill out than with a collection of his finest...

It's about time this blog had a bit of class.

Ralph Vaughan Williams, OM (12th October 1872 – 26th August 1958)

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My dear, you just know I cannot keep up the pretence of "class" for very long... Jx

      Delete
  2. I'm sure I've heard Lark Ascending in a film or TV series?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a work of such magnificence, I certainly hope it hasn't been cheapened by association with a Hollywood rom-com or an advert... Jx

      Delete
    2. You'll hear a "good" version at my funeral. Yes! I want to go out on that crystal clear high note.

      Delete
    3. Mitzi: "The Larkins"?

      Dinah: It wouldn't matter if it were a bum note. You wouldn't be there to hear it.

      Jx

      Delete
  3. Fantasia on a theme is hypnotically lovely - especially played in that cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mr Tallis would have been very pleased - a) at how Mr Vaughan Williams revived and so opulently reworked his music, and b) yes, the production is sublime... Gawd bless the BBC for that one! Jx

      Delete
    2. ...and all for 43p per day! Jx

      Delete
  4. A truly great composer and probably my fave.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]