Thursday 27 October 2022

It stops the hurting

It's Hallowe'en next week, dear reader - as if you didn't already know, what with the amount of cobwebby tat in the shops, not to mention the so-called "spooky" food ranges. "Vampire Crumpets", anyone?

Of course, that also means that just about every radio show is playing some vaguely-horror-tinged music, which generally follows the lines of Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre, Dusty singing Spooky or the ubiquitous Bobby "Boris" Pickett and The Monster Mash...

Thank heavens for Dermot O'Leary's Alternative Sounds of the 90s show on Radio 2, as he gave a rare airing for this long-forgotten (by me, anyhow) gem:

Darling, stop confusing me
With your wishful thinking
Hopeful embraces
Don't you understand?

I have to go through this, I belong to here
Where no one cares and no one loves
No light, no air to live in
A place called Hate, The City of Fear

I play dead, it stops the hurting
I play dead and the hurt stops

Miserable, but I love it!

14 comments:

  1. I just adore Halloween. To me it's the gay Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm the opposite. Hallowe'en, like Xmas, Valentine's Day and Paddy's Day is just a cynical commercial exercise to "force" people to buy more crap for no particular reason. At least Guy Fawkes and New Year's Eve have fireworks!

      "Gay Xmas" is Gay Pride day for us - and the "Gay World Cup" is the Eurovision Song Contest! 😁🌈 Jx

      Delete
    2. Heterosexual, non-Christian me is with you on this. Well, not Eurovision these days. But Blah!! to all the other tatt!

      Delete
    3. I just get irritated by all those faux "celebrations", and their associated merchandise. None of it has any meaning. It's money-making, pure and simple. Jx

      Delete
  2. I haven’t heard that for ages.
    I like a bit of spookiness - and to date, Halloween is still handmade and I have yet to spend a penny on it, but I might be a rarity!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the immortal words of Shirley Conran: "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom!" - or in the case of Hallowe'en, "...to carve a pumpkin". Jx

      Delete
  3. I love this! I've never heard it before. Apparently there are multiple versions of this song, but people in the comments prefer this slower, darker version. I was not allowed to watch your link because it was "blocked in my country", but Youtube has lots of back passages and I found one not too unseemly, though it could have used more plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too - shades of Radiohead and Goldfrapp, methinks, but with Bjork's singular madness on top! I'm glad you found the "back passage" to get to listen to it. 🧐 Jx

      Delete
  4. Halloween is a little more insistent every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me anyway, the song should remain long forgotten.

    I don’t know why the blog title made me think dirty thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame. Bjork always has such nice things to say about you...

      Jx

      PS Filthy minds are always welcome here!

      Delete
  6. Fab track
    play anything except The Monster Mash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I resisted the temptation, even though Hallowe'en was on Tacky Music Monday... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]