Saturday, 29 August 2026

Back to the Future

It's a Bank Holiday weekend and, as Ms Scarlet observed: as usual in Britain, it's raining. Back to normal, then. So much for spending any time in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers! [And so much for our usual Grand Picnic tomorrow - which is replaced instead by one of our boozy Film Club "gatherings of the clans".]

Let us escape it all, and enter the bewildering world of 1950s futuristic technology again, courtesy of the geniuses at Soft Tempo Lounge - this time even more bewildering as this appears to be at some kind of expo in Russia, at the height of the Cold War...

Fab music, as ever:

Ah, that's better.

[Music: Renè Eiffel Orchester - Desidery / Shopping in the town; Original film: RCA Whirlpool Miracle Kitchen in Russia (1959)]

14 comments:

  1. Well, that is some fab music! Perhaps world peace can be brought about by more international expos featuring modern kitchens with all the conveniences one can imagine?

    Speaking of film clubs, I saw Spider-Man on Friday (took my nephew and youngest niece) and you were right (of course): it's a very good film! Exciting, dramatic, and very well acted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I believe that kitchens are our future"..?

      So pleased you got to see Spider Man: Brand New Day, and enjoyed it so. It's a superb film! Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh My Golly Gosh how fab was that
    What wonder ! A kitchen with electric lighting and a washing machine
    What will they think of next.
    I am sure I saw the old granny from next door in the front row wearing the same head scarf as she does now.
    Mr. De was right, the music was fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I saw Peter Butterworth in a headscarf there as well. Jx

      Delete
  3. The video is a riot. The impossibly modern kitchen... until, that is, they decide to bake a cake. And the sweating and rough-looking audience. No AC nor even fans for the audience in that futuristic kitchen? And to end with a bundt cake of the future. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful bit of footage, isn't it? I wonder if any of those gadgets ever worked in reality in a real home? I doubt it. Jx

      Delete
    2. Not in Russia in those days!

      Delete
    3. Did they actually work in any country? I doubt it, otherwise some of these gadgets would be standard these day, which they most certainly are not... Jx

      Delete
  4. World Peace via the medium of cake?!!! Let's do it!
    Fab film, Jon, thank you!
    We've had a lot of rain here, and the other day the word 'mud' entered the conversation. Have a good movie day.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did somebody mention cake?!

      It was miserable here all day, but today (at the moment at least, given the blustery winds), it is sunny again. It could be the perfect day for a picnic, after all.

      We don't get "mud" much in London. It's been paved over. Jx

      Delete
  5. Ms Scarlet mentioned that I needed to drop by to see the possible salvation of the international crisis that the orange stain on humanity has wrought by servings of cake! We having doughnuts here this morning, I do hope that's "cakey" enough to do our small part, sweetpea! *wink* xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake: the solution to all the world's ills! If only. Jx

      Delete
  6. Only the wealthiest of Americans would have a kitchen even close to that !
    Then again it was propaganda to begin with, the downside was never shown.
    1959- a black man could still get lynched, a Jewish family denied a house because of restrictive property covenants, and any person of color , Asian, Hispanic, Indian or black had to be indoors before 6 in the evening or be arrested for vagrancy in sundowner towns.
    Rex in DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meanwhile, in the USSR, despite its "space race" launches and the official visit of Mr & Mrs Khrushchev to the USA, millions of "dissidents" were still being sent to the gulags, and the Soviet government was threatening the independent existence of West Berlin and supporting Castro's revolution in Cuba... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]