Sunday, 9 August 2026

They all want me, they can't have me, so they all come and dance beside me

I've spent a fruitful several hours out in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers - in the midst of the UK's fifth heatwave this year! - watering, tidying, and generally getting things prepared for us being away for five days from Thursday. Hopefully it may have cooled down again by then, but you never know...

Throughout the day, I have (inevitably) been accompanied by the ever-reliable BBC Radio 2. However, just now I was jolted out of my reverie when I heard this one playing, and realised that I was listening to Pick of the Pops, and the charts from THIRTY YEARS AGO! Fuck.

After that shock to the system, I thought - let's add insult to injury, and revisit a whole selection of hits that are of exactly the same vintage...

Three decades?

Sob.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the nostalgia! What a year for music. I'm listening to Babybird first because it reminds me of my hot, ginger, shelf stacker crush when I worked in Safeway. And I could always be found on the small, sticky, dark, sweaty dancefloor of The Pit in Cromer when Gina G came on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, your youthful craving for Ginger Nuts...

      1996 was indeed a great year for music! Other massive hits from that year include Etta James I Just Want to Make Love to You [even if that was just because of a jeans advert], Robert Miles Children and One and One, OMC How Bizarre, The Beautiful South Rotterdam, JX There's Nothing I Won't Do, Robbie Williams Freedom, Todd Terry featuring Martha Wash & Jocelyn Brown Keep on Jumpin' and Livin' Joy Don't Stop Movin' [and much more]! Whew... Jx

      Delete
  2. 30 years on and insomnia is still one of my favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too! I still turn it up every time I hear it - for that "bridge" about two minutes in alone. The most brilliant of all 90s dance choons! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]