Tuesday 26 February 2019

Oh, By Jingo


Pinkness! courtesy of our extravagant Cyclamen coum

It's been another gorgeous springlike day in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers, as we continued digging-out and re-doing our pots and troughs, pruning and clearing the detritus dumped all over everything by the ugly weed trees overhanging from neighbours' plots - in particular the utterly vile Sycamore, whose winged seeds get everywhere, and will each sprout into another forty-foot tree given half a chance.

While enjoying the sunshine and the pottering, we were accompanied by a glut of programmes from the fantastic Clare Teal Swing and Big Band show on Radio 2 on catch-up. And lo and behold, I find it would have been the birthday today of the fabulous Miss Betty Hutton, doyenne of that particular era (before she became more famous for big-screen musicals) - so, by way of a celebration, here's a double-bill of the lady's zaniness...

...first with (I think - it's difficult to tell under the blackface "Minstrel" makeup) Vincent Lopez and His Orchestra:


...and second, in a spectacular sequence from Incendiary Blonde:


Nobody did it like Betty!

Betty Hutton (born Elizabeth June Thornburg, 26th February 1921 – 12th March 2007)

4 comments:

  1. On the (rare ) occasion I bang away at the other keyboard I like to channel Betty's Rumble,rumble,rumble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e3gk7e0Cq4

    Nice cyclamen, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love watching those old musicals!
    My cyclamen is out. Damn it, I should have taken a picture of it for my post.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They became known in our family as "ironing films", as they were always on Sunday afternoons, when my mother always did the ironing... Jx

      PS Cyclamen are just so jolly, aren't they? And they don't give a hoot what the weather's like, they'll just flower away regardless.

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]