Tuesday 30 July 2019

Fun and laughter on our summer holiday


Britons have asked their government if it would mind not sending the pound into freefall right before their summer holidays every bloody year.

Threats of a no-deal Brexit have once again sent the pound plummeting against the euro, the dollar, the Turkish lira and all other currencies of hot countries where the UK has two weeks booked.

Tom Booker of Derby said: “It might be nice to have one holiday where the government isn’t snatching cocktails from my hand and dashing them to the ground. Just one.

“Instead, ever since 2016, the Tories decide to engage in July-August economic brinksmanship and I run out of spending money four days before my flight, while the Germans watch and laugh.

“I suppose last year they did vary things a bit by sending the pound into freefall at the beginning of December, depriving thousands of kids visiting Lapland of a reindeer feeding experience. So that was good of them.”


Chancellor Sajid Javid said: “Thing is, politics is a bit boring in summer so we play a game of chicken with the Eurozone’s larger economies to keep our adrenaline up.

“If it’s ruined your holiday it serves you right for not choosing a patriotic British break. We’re dynamiting the Channel tunnel next year anyway.”
The Daily Mash

Of course.

10 comments:

  1. "snatching cocktails from my hand" ...now now, that's enough crazy talk right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is this 'holiday' of which you speak?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not going on a "proper" (beach) holiday - we never do in peak season; too bloody expensive; too many kids - but we do have our annual pilgrimage to Amsterdam the weekend after next. How about you? Jx

      Delete
  3. The thought of Benidorm keeps me firmly ensconced in Britain year after year. Rather than paying for the "pleasure", I can have my time off work ruined here for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling - you should do as we do. Grab a cheap holiday in the middle of winter - when there are practically no chavs on the Costa, just the old 'uns. It gives you the opportunity for some sunshine when everyone at home is frozen solid, and you have the advantage of feeling young... Jx

      Delete
    2. I'd better look into renewing my Passport then.

      (I wouldn't trust Broom on any overseas flight)

      Delete
    3. I would suggest that EasyJet is probably the quicker method of transport to Malaga. Jx

      Delete
  4. Don't s'pose any of you are old enough to remember the currency limit in the 60s? Two weeks on one of the Costas and you weren't allowed to take more the 50 quid.Made for a lot of very inventive hems and pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unsurprisingly, I don't remember it. I was, after all, only seven by the time the decade ended. However, even more remarkable about that particular snippet of info (did it last long?) is that at the end of the Sixties, the Costas were becoming the epitome of a trendy "jet-set" lifestyle, and the "high rise hotel" boom had already started. So the Spaniards must have been aiming their sights at some kind of tourism, even if it wasn't the Brits... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]