Thursday 4 July 2019

Everybody look what's going down


Which merit badges have you earned?

The countdown to this weekend's Gay Pride/Gay Xmas continues - and tonight, I am off to a panel discussion event all about the state of play where that is concerned, in the UK and the world at large, with participants Our Hero Peter Tatchell, lesbian Labour MP Angela Eagle, trans activist and Britain's first Muslim drag queen Asifa Lahore, and Tory MP Crispin Blunt. Should be interesting - in particular since I and my sister have been battling the organisers of Pride in London for years to get them to understand how it is not, and cannot be, right to cut down (and restrict with tickets/wristbands/barriers) the number of individual members of the public who want to take part in the march, in favour of massively-funded floats and walking groups organised by corporate bodies and groups whose actual real-life involvement in/understanding of gay lives and gay rights issues is nominal (to say the least).

I'm sure I'll have plenty to say :-)

Meanwhile, on with the campery!

How about a technicolour nod to our favourite decade the 80s, as interpolated by a "band" that was very much of the 90s? That fits the bill nicely...


NB the man behind the make-up is none other than Stuart Price - the genius behind Confessions on a Dance Floor for Queen Madge, as well as producer/remixer for The Killers, Pet Shop Boys, Scissor Sisters, Kylie and Take That, among many others.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with your fight!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I raised my point at the meeting, and got the support of Mr Tatchell to boot! It won't change much, given the compliant and complicit nature of the Pride committee with the stupid and excessive demands of the bigots in the council, as well as the complete weakness of the Mayor, and the the indifference of politicians. We will have fun, no matter what! Jx

      Delete
  2. Someone always wants to rain on a parade...damn' spoil-sports.Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, darling...

      Don't tell me not to fly
      I've simply got to
      If someone takes a spill
      It's me and not you
      Who told you you're allowed
      To rain on my parade
      I'll march my band out
      I'll beat my drum
      And if I'm fanned out
      Your turn at bat, sir
      At least I didn't fake it
      Hat, sir, I guess I didn't make it
      But whether I'm the rose
      Of sheer perfection
      Or freckle on the nose
      Of life's complexion
      The cinder or the shiny apple of its eye
      I gotta fly once
      I gotta try once
      Only can die once, right, sir?
      Ooh, life is juicy
      Juicy, and you see
      I gotta have my bite, sir
      Get ready for me, love
      'Cause I'm a commer
      I simply gotta march
      My heart's a drummer
      Don't bring around a cloud
      To rain on my parade
      I'm gonna live and live now
      Get what I want, I know how
      One roll for the whole show bang
      One throw, that bell will go clang
      Eye on the target and wham
      One shot, one gun shot, and bam
      Hey, Mister Arnstein
      Here I am!


      I resisted the temptation to do the whole number this evening. But only just.

      Jx

      Delete
    2. haha. Can we clone you! (I suppose we'd have to...)

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure the world is ready for more. Jx

      Delete
  3. How many of those badges have YOU earned?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]