Sunday 28 July 2019

Wouldn't you think I'm the girl who has everything?


"Quadruple Threat.
Acts, Sings, Dances, Pours a decent pint.
Rotherham's finest export since Paul Shane."
Having trekked across Regent's Park after work on Friday to the Open Air Theatre box office to book tickets for their forthcoming production of Evita, I felt I was in need of some libations, so paid a visit to our customary haunt Halfway to Heaven down in the West End. I was very glad I did, too, as not only was there a decent smattering of "our gang" (well, Paul, Mark and John-John, anyway) and other regulars in attendance, and a flying visit from our currently residing-out-of-town chum Pretty David, but there was a cancellation among the usual Friday night drag fare; this meant that (at short notice) the stalwart of late night cabaret, the Royal Vauxhall Tavern (RVT), Edinburgh Fringe and - as she took great delight in (repeatedly) telling us - cast member of the new film of the wildly successful West End musical Everybody's Talking About Jamie [alongside Richard E Grant], Miss Myra DuBois ("The Songbird of South Yorkshire") was in residence!

I have seen the saintly Myra loads of times before, as pub quiz host, emcee, interviewer and general lynchpin of a number of RVT evenings, but this was the first time I'd caught one of her one-woman shows. She's chuffing hilarious, too!
"I make it my mission to personally connect with every single member of my audience. That’s why so many of them leave the theatre as life-long AdMyras. “AdMyras” being the pet term I give to my fans. Like Lady Gaga has her “little monsters” and Kate Bush has the ‘socially inept’. I have my AdMyras. And there’ll be songs, my goodness there’ll be songs! I can’t put myself on a stage and not sing for my people, it wouldn’t be fair. Songs, laughter and a fully stocked bar. That’s what punters can expect from one of my shows!"
I laughed till tears streamed down my cheeks at her acidic repartee, her admonishments of misbehaving members of the audience, and, of course, those "songs"...



Now that's what I call an old trouper!!

Myra DuBois official website.

6 comments:

  1. Now that is drag. That is pure magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm an AdMyra and I've only seen a couple of Youtube clips!
    Kate Bush has the socially inept!!! I like it.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's like a cross between Lily Savage, Hyacinth Bouquet and Frank Sidebottom. I'm an AdMyra, too. Jx

      Delete
  3. Amazing! I wish she'd been there when I last went to Halfway to Heaven. Although, that was a good twenty years ago now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there a few "drag troupers" who were around back then, and are still going strong - Mrs Moore, Sandra, Rose Garden, Lola Lasagne - but at that time, Myra aka Gareth was merely the barman down the road at the Retro Bar... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]