Thursday 9 January 2020

Gimme a sign


Our glorious Hippeastrum "Cape Horn"

It's a beautiful (if blustery) Spring-like morning, which is unusual for January. We have bulbs galore sprouting in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers, and the resplendent Hippeastrum (above) swathing our kitchen in effervescent pinkness. Such a shame we have to trudge away from it all into the dull, stuffy confines of the office...

Hey ho.

Among a slew of famous birthdays today - including the (completely overlooked by the media) centenary of the birth of Clive Dunn (aka the loveable "Colonel Jones" in Dad's Army), the 95th of Lee Van Cleef, and those of Kate Middleton (a Duchess definitely not "stepping back" from her duties), Imelda Staunton, Joely Richardson, "Tricky Dicky" Nixon, Crystal Gale, Susanna York, Joan Baez, Gracie Fields, Jimmy Page, Simone de Beauvoir, and - erm - famous mumbler Sean Paul, a certain Nestor Alexander Haddaway is 55 years old.

His greatest hit always reminds me of summer, which helps. A lot.


Ah, that's better.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a showy Hippeastrum. I'm hoping for something similar from those bum-like Crinium seeds/bulbils I nabbed from The Old Rectory Gardens back in September - both "bum cheeks" have sprouted (although, I expect it'll be a few years before they flower).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowering bum-cheeks, Batman!

      From seed to flower takes five years according to the experts - you'll need patience... Jx

      Delete
  2. Definitely spring-like with a hint of September. I saw a single rose bud the other day - obviously confused, and the snowdrops are out.
    Poor Kate - her birthday overshadowed by the hubbub.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Salvias are still flowering - and yet the winter cyclamen and snowdrops are blooming at the same time. Don't mention climate change though, or that Thunberg girl will skive off school again and start sailing up the Severn Estuary to tick us off. Jx

      Delete
  3. Flowering bum-cheeks! I was so taken with the pink prettiness I mis-read the birthday collection and thought you'd marked Joan Baez as 100!! She's only four years older than moi so I got quite a scare and it's nowhere near wine o'clock!(I have 19 buds on my Brugmansia!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can probably get cream for that. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]