Monday 20 January 2020

Pick the flower now before the chance is past


Another option for beach-wear for our forthcoming trip to Spain - from Giulietta degli spiriti

We have a centenary to celebrate today, dear reader - that of possibly the most extravagantly camp film director of them all, Signor Federico Fellini!

As I said a decade ago on this very blog:
...Federico Fellini was indeed one of the most influential film directors in European movie history. A pioneer of the so-called "neo-realist" style, he collaborated with Ingrid Bergman's hubbie Roberto Rossellini, Marcello Mastroianni, Sophia Loren and her husband Carlo Ponti, Anna Magnani, Anita Ekberg and even Goldie Hawn. His film Le Notti di Cabiria was later adapted by Neil Simon, Cy Coleman and Dorothy Fields as the musical Sweet Charity.
Fellini's legacy is vast and wide-ranging - everyone from Tim Burton to Terry Gilliam, David Lynch [with whom he shares a birthday] to Peter Greenaway, Rainer Werner Fassbinder to Baz Luhrmann owes him a huge debt - but there are one or two tributes that, for me, are the finest summations of a life's creativity...



...and of course, as it is Tacky Music Monday, my favourite musical tribute to the man's work:




Federico Fellini (20th January 1920 – 31st October 1993)

An interesting review of some of the great man's most stylish films

6 comments:

  1. A friend and I went to a West End cinema to see "Amacord" and the chap sitting a seat away from me was dressed EXACTLY like this picture of Fred!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The man deserved that kind of tribute! Jx

      Delete
  2. I think I enjoyed the French and Saunders bit better than any actual Fellini I've seen. Heresy, I know, and I am ashamed, but still....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally. I think Fellini films are more for gawping at rather than enjoying.

      As for French & Saunders, I recken their versions of just about anything are better than the originals - I never need to see a Bergman epic now I've seen their take on it, and Silence of the Lambs or The Exorcist will never be the same again after they did them!

      Jx

      Delete
    2. When I watch The Crown I see the French and Saunders version even though they haven't made it. Dawn French as Princess Margaret - fabulous.
      Sx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]