Saturday 25 April 2020

I feel like I wanna sing when you do your thing



Many happy returns to one of the biggest names in pop music Mr Björn Ulvaeus, the mastermind (with Benny Andersson) behind the hits of Abba - who is (scarily) 75 years old today!

Despite the jangly glam-pop and extravagant balladeering that became the mainstay of Abba's roller-coaster ride to world domination in the '70s and '80s, Mr Ulvaeus' roots were firmly founded in the strange world of Scandinavian folk music, starting with his very popular (in Sweden) combo The Hootenanny Singers.

As one wag said in the comments on YouTube: "I didn't know Max von Sydow sang with Bjorn..."


Thank heavens he discovered glitter and lurex!


Love 'em or hate 'em, everyone can still sing along to Abba...

Björn Kristian Ulvaeus (born 25th April 1945)

6 comments:

  1. I remember being a little kid and the most beautiful people I ever saw in my life, like angels, came out and sang a song called Fernando. My little gay genes spoke to me that day. Holy cow 75, time keeps marching on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vividly remember their gob-smacking (winning) appearance in the Eurovision Song Contest - it was the only topic of conversation the next day in school! There was nothing else like them, and never will be... Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh, the Hootenanny Singers! It suggests there's hope for all of us no matter where we start.
    Too bad that Nashville's Hee Haw TV variety show didn't invite them over to sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a very good thing they didn't, otherwise we may never have had Abba! Jx

      Delete
  3. Never mind Max von Sydow I am sure that tall chap on the left is -
    Donald Sutherland !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]