Sunday 12 April 2020

Goody goody yum yum no more





Lordy. This is turning out to be a bit of a year for mourning the loss of beloved stalwarts of British light entertainment: Terry Jones, Derek Fowlds, Nicholas Parsons, Roy Hudd - and now Tim Brooke-Taylor!

Like so many witty and creative future "national treasures" - such as John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Sandi Toksvig, Griff Rhys Jones, David Frost, Olivia Colman, Douglas Adams, Mel Giedroyc, Sue Perkins, Kit Hesketh-Harvey, Julian Fellowes, Clive Anderson, Clive James, Miriam Margolyes, Jonathan Miller, Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry and Peter Cook - Tim cut his comedy teeth at the Cambridge Footlights Club. He soon became a radio star, courtesy of one of the "precursors" to Monty Python - the fab revue show called I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again - then he made the transfer to telly with another, At Last The 1948 Show, on which he (with John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Marty Feldman) premiered the classic Python "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch. He was also a panellist on Radio 4's parody panel show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue for more than forty years.

It was however, of course, for his appearance as part the utterly anarchic trio The Goodies - a BBC staple from 1970 until 1982 - that we treasure him the most. So let's take a little trip down memory lane...



Thank you, Mr Brooke-Taylor, for so many happy childhood memories.

Timothy Julian Brooke-Taylor OBE (17th July 1940 - 12th April 2020)

11 comments:

  1. We were just listening to the the Funky Gibbon Album in Tribute - It includes tracks called "Panic" and "Sick Man Blues"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the original Funky Gibbon 7" single, and Sick Man Blues was its B-side. As kids we loved it. Jx

      Delete
  2. Both appropriate songs!

    I love I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue and The Goodies

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad loss of a witty and funny man

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sa him preform two years ago in IM SORRY I HAVENT A CLUE
    lovely man

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well... that just makes me feel older. I loved the Goodies, I only have one friend who remembers them. Another one gone, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Goodies was a show that was integral to our growing-up. It makes me very sad that such a talented man could be yet another casualty of this horrid pandemic. Jx

      Delete
  6. So sad to read of Tim's demise - he was my favourite Goodie. Yes, part of my childhood history too.
    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three Goodies had varying degrees of silliness, but with Mr Brooke-Taylor I think it was also the element of camp - remember him dressed as Evita singing Don't Cry For Me, Marge and Tina? or his "tears" whenever the National Anthem played? - that made him the most popular. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]