Wednesday 22 April 2020

Yeah, I wonder if I'm dreaming



Heavens! The heartthrob of the mid-Seventies NME generation Mr Peter Frampton is 70 years old today....


I wish...





As I said a decade ago on the occasion of his 60th:
It's not very often that I feature rock guitarists - "legendary" or not - here at Dolores Delargo Towers. However, I sometimes make allowances for the pin-up fantasies of our youth. And in this case, a certain Peter Frampton certainly fitted that bill for some of us (he was apparently one of Madam Arcati's early wank fantasies).

It meant little to me at the time - I barely remember the furore that his Frampton Comes Alive album caused during the long hot summer of 1976, being far more into Noosha Fox and 10CC (I was only just a teenager after all)...

However, I digress. Here is his most famous song - which in many people's memories is an anthem of the scorching heatwave Britain experienced [gulp!] 44 years ago:


I wonder how you're feeling
There's ringing in my ears
And no one to relate to 'cept the sea
Who can I believe in?
I'm kneeling on the floor
There has to be a force
Who do I phone?
The stars are out and shining
But all I really want to know

Oh won't you show me the way, every day
I want you to show me the way, yeah

Well, I can see no reason
You're living on your nerves
When someone drops a cup and I submerge
I'm swimming in a circle
I feel I'm going down
There has to be a fool to play my part
Someone thought of healing
But all I really want to know

Oh won't you show me the way, every day
I want you to show me the way, oh
I want you day after day, yeah

Yeah, I wonder if I'm dreaming
I feel so unashamed
I can't believe this is happening to me
I watch you when you're sleeping
And then I want to take your love

Oh won't you show me the way, every day
I want you to show me the way, one more time
I want you day after day, yeah
I want you day after day, hey

I want you to show me the way, every day
I want you to show me the way, night and day
I want you day after day


Oh, yes! Summer...

Many happy returns, Peter Kenneth Frampton (born 22nd April 1950)

4 comments:

  1. Amazing. I woke with a clogged left ear early this morning (allergies) and I have a ringing in my ear. SG was sound asleep. The first thing I saw when I got out of bed was "the sea." The stars were still "out and shining." I then was "kneeling on the floor" to pet the cat. And I've been singing this sing on a loop for the past 7 hours! (And, god, did I think he was beautiful in the '70s!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but are you "living on your nerves", and "when someone drops a cup" do you "submerge"? Apparently the beauteous Mr Frampton did. Jx

      Delete
    2. Jon:
      I'm ALWAYS living on my nerves and I'm usually the one who drops a cup (and yes I do submerge).

      Delete
    3. "Someone thought of healing", apparently. Hopefully not with crystals or meditation, however. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]