Tuesday 18 August 2020

Hollywood Dames

We have not one, but two centenaries to celebrate, dear reader...



"I've always been a tough Irish lass."

[When asked what her most marked characteristic was]: "The hell and fire in me! They came as a set."

...the much-missed Miss Maureen O'Hara yesterday...


[More here]



"I have bursts of being a lady, but it doesn't last long."

"I hate to tell you how old I am, but I reached the age of consent 75,000 consents ago."


...and the faboo Miss Shelley Winters today!

[More here]


They just don't make 'em like that any more!

7 comments:

  1. I’ll always remember Shelley Winters for The Poseidon Adventure!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll always remember Shelley Winters in The Poseidon Adventure, as done by Bette Midler! Jx

      Delete
  2. I only know her as Charlotte Haze aka lolita's mum. She was brilliant in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never seen the film. The concept alone is too pervy. Jx

      Delete
    2. I can see where you're coming from... have you read the book? It's really not a pro paedophile book at all, it really is about a man destroying a young girl, and lengthily self justifying about it. Unfortunately people do fail to get these things, and read it as being romantic and sexy.... a bit like how some people watch Til Death Do Us Part and think you're meant to sympathise with Alf Garnett.

      No I don't blame anyone for not wanting to read Lolita or watch the Stanley Kubrick movie but they are both great.

      The remake is piss.

      Delete

  3. I loved 'The Quiet Man' (1952) even though it had John Wayne in it.
    Shelley Winters was actually a very good actress. She was outstanding in 'A Place in the Sun' (1951) along side Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen either film, but I admire both ladies' acting skills. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]