Wednesday 26 August 2020

Malevolent maelstrom



The fact that the Met Office (having embraced the infantile American habit of giving windy weather a name) has called the latest unseasonal high winds that have been battering the UK for days "Storm Francis" led me to think - why that name? It's not that common, after all.

So I went looking for "famous Francises", and found: Sir Francis Drake, Francis Poulenc, Sir Francis Chichester, Francis Rossi, Francis Wheen, St. Francis of Assisi, Francis Lai, Francis Matthews, Francis Bacon, Francis Ford Coppola, and...

...Francis Urquhart!

Of course:









Probably the best villain on British telly since Livia in I, Claudius...

8 comments:

  1. I hope THIS Storm Francis wasn't half as malevolent. You're right about Urquhart. We watched the American series and then, finally, watched the original. Loved them both but thought the first was sheer brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mainly due to the fact it was only available on Netflix over here, which we don't have, I never saw the US version with Mr Spacey. However I probably would have been hesitant to go there anyway, as the impact and malevolence of the original could not be bettered in my opinion. Jx

      Delete
  2. I still haven't seen House of Cards, so something to look forward to.
    Apparently the stormy alphabet resets in September so we can look for to Storm Alan, or Annie.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never saw the original in 1990? Gosh.

      I wonder why they'd bother re-starting the alphabet if they've only reached "F"? I was looking forward to "Storm Gertrude".

      Jx

      Delete
  3. On first glance, I thought the reference might be to Frances Ethel Gumm! xoN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it, but this bastard storm is definitely a male maelstrom. Jx

      Delete

  4. I give you ;
    Francis Alick Howard, OBE (6 March 1917 – 19 April 1992)
    better known by his stage-name Frankie Howerd.

    "Oooh noo, please, it's wicked to mock the afflicted!"

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]