Friday 27 August 2021

Woo! Yeah!


click to embiggen

Another tortuous week's work is almost over. It has been a slog!

Never mind, eh? Tomorrow we have a visit to London from The Mother, and my sis and I are taking her to see Princess Diana's frocks at Kensington Palace - that should be a glittering day out, I'm sure!

It's also a Bank Holiday weekend - yay! - [our last three-day weekend until Xmas] so despite the grim, cold weather, we have plenty to celebrate. Let's get the party started with a lady for whom the epithet "the higher the hair, the closer to god" might have been coined - the late, great Miss Lyn Collins...

...and Thank Disco It's Friday!

First up, a remix of her original (James Brown-produced) number:

...and here is the great lady again, having (only slightly) toned-down the wiggage, with an equally funky number:

Now that's an impressive set of tonsils.

Have a great weekend, dear reader!


Footnote:

Think (About It) is one of the most-sampled records ever - the Woo! Yeah! refrain alone was integral to the early days of House and Hip-Hop music...

10 comments:

  1. Yazzz. So many hits came from that one song. I have to see if there's a wikipedia page for it. I like her. And, weirdly, am unfamiliar. Soul Train had it going on. Sadly, here in the midwest, we we were not exposed. My love of funk began in 1984 and my education continues to this day. Thanks for sharing this. As for wigs! I have been thinking about going and buying one and wearing it out... not as drag, but in an Andy Warhol sort of way. Obvious, but in on the joke. Like it was a hat. My own version of the Easter Parade? Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a link to Wikipedia in the footnote, with references to sites that list many of the samples.

      Soul Train is another show that never "crossed the pond", basically I assume because it was so very, very American, Top of the Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test were our two main music shows, and there were some embarrassing "Disco dance contest"-type shows that were not worth watching.

      Careful what wig you choose, Mr. King - you don't want to end up looking like Sia! Jx

      Delete
  2. We have a heat wave in the West Country. We also have the highest case rate of Covid.
    It is rammed in this part of the world, with this in mind I hope you have London to yourselves at the weekend and have a wonderful time with your family.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A heatwave, Ms Scarlet?! I thought Devon had similar temperatures to us (low 20s C) at the moment? It's just we are under a permanent blanket of cloud...

      As for tourists (grockles), I have no doubt that London is awash, COVID or no COVID. It always is. Jx

      Delete
    2. A heat wave? Oh. Yes, I think I can remember what being warm felt like...

      Delete
  3. What a day you have planned, Jon! I'd love to see Princess Di's frocks. I wonder if they'll let you try any on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading straight for the tiaras, myself. Jx

      Delete
  4. Oh My Gawd, how fab.
    I could look like a different 'Supreme' every day and 'Diana Ross' every week-end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and glue two or three together and look like Miss Collins. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]