Tuesday 31 August 2021

Latin rhythms and lalochezia


I certainly get lalochezia on the first day back to work after a Bank Holiday!

To divert attention from the creeping horror that overtakes us when we realise today is the meteorological Last Day of Summer, let's have another "timeslip moment"!

Today, we've leapt from the Nebuchadnezzar into the midst of the closing year of the millennium, 1999 [the year we moved to London] - the year of Kosovo, Clinton and David Copeland (who nail-bombed the Admiral Duncan gay bar); of Jill Dando's murder, Harold Shipman and the ascension of Putin; and the year the Scottish and Welsh parliaments, the Euro, Napster, MSN Messenger and the Millennium Dome were born.

In the news headlines in August '99: the solar eclipse over the UK [which was a bit of a "flash-in-the-pan", as I recall], outrage over the arrest of farmer Tony Martin for shooting a burglar in his home, a second war erupted in Chechnya, Charlie Kennedy became leader of the LibDems, and we bade a sad farewell to sports presenter Helen Rollason and one half of the Two Fat Ladies Jennifer Paterson. In our cinemas: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace; Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me; South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. On telly: The Sopranos; Animals Do the Funniest Things; House Doctor.

And in our charts this week twenty-two years ago? The all-conquering Mambo No. 5 by Lou Bega had just crashed into the top slot, and there was a clutch of decent choons from Geri Halliwell, Moloko, Ricky Martin, Alice Deejay, Bran Van 3000, TLC and Another Level, and another dirge from Westlife making up the numbers.

But the second-highest entry in the Top 10 (destined never to reach the top, more's the pity) was another "Latin-flavoured" - and totally irresistible - classic; a makeover of an old Dean Martin hit, no less:

When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like the lazy ocean hugs the shore, hold me close
Sway me more.(3x)

cha cha cha cha cha
cha cha cha cha cha cha cha
cha cha cha cha cha
cha cha cha cha cha cha cha

When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like the lazy ocean hugs the shore, hold me close
Sway me more.(4x)

I love it!

...but 22 years ago? Really?!

13 comments:

  1. I love these Wayback Machine moments... such rich history. Thanks for the memories! I love history unearthed and capsulized. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel it is my mission with these posts to both tweak happy memories and to make people feel very, very old... Jx

      Delete
  2. I succumbed to a bout of lalochezia at my sister's on Sunday evening - right in front of my impressionable niece! Alexa couldn't/wouldn't play Steps latest "Take Me For A Ride" so, helped along by three or four Pimms and a gin or twelve, I told it to F off - not realizing that 8 year old Lionel (not her real name) was standing right behind me. I was mortified.

    I love "Sway" - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our "gadget queen" friends in Essex have Alexa, and I love telling it to fuck off. Hopefully your niece will now start, too. Hee hee! Jx

      Delete
  3. I remember the immortal Pussy Cat Dolls covered Sway. I would bet their video of it also included a great deal of hair flinging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First day of Autumn today and it was effing freezing first thing. I despair. What happened to Summer?
    I also like Sway.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can write off anything passing for "summer" this year, I fear. A couple of days in June, and a few days in July preceded by, interspersed with, and followed by rain and murk doth not a summer make! Jx

      Delete
  5. Well, sweetie, you've succeeded in making this chick feel old! As old as the 78 rpm records my parents danced to...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKgUq5dziEk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even more scary thought - we are today further away in years from The Boomtown Rats' I Don't Like Mondays than it itself was from that song by Mr Hope and Miss Ross... Jx

      Delete
    2. I did some riffmetic...now I'm really scared!

      Delete
  6. I love this track but 22 years ago? That is not possible ! It must be several years old BUT 22 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year we moved to London, dear - time flies when you're having fun! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]