Monday 2 August 2021

Domani chi lo sa, quel che sarà?


The higher the hair, the closer to God?

For a change, dear reader, I am not groaning after the end of another weekend - for I am on leave for two weeks. Yay!

To add to the joy, we have another "diva discovery" to ease us into a new week! The rather faboo Miranda Martino (for it is she) is a singer and actress whose career has spanned seven decades, yet is completely unknown outside her native Italy. Her career was launched at the 1956 Sanremo Festival, and after numerous albums, film and television appearances throughout the intervening decades, she made a resurgence in 2019 at the age of 85 with a one woman revue called I began again at 80. Just this year she popped up as one of the "talking heads" in a film documentary about the life of Ennio Morricone. Phew!

I discovered her when this choon was featured as part of the daily In Tune Mixtapes on [surprisingly; again] the BBC's classical music station Radio 3 - with this number [a song that was featured in the first Pink Panther film, and was written by Signôr Morricone]:

On this Tacky Music Monday however, here she is belting out one of her power ballads - for some bewildering reason on what looks for all the world like a motorway viaduct...

Questions, questions... Why is she on a tour bus looking like she just stepped off Aristotle Onassiss's yacht at Antibes? Why did said bus then abandon her and that gaggle of gormless tourists on the side of the road and drive off? Who was the weirdo in a bowler hat anyway, and why did they book a tour with him when he's clearly disturbed? Furthermore, I wish this video were in colour, because I'd love to know what shade of vivid red she might have chosen for that wig!

Have a good week, chums.

13 comments:

  1. Oh crikey, the bloke with the bowler hat is the lone British tourist isn't he? At least he gets taken away pretty swiftly.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wasn't interested in the view of that motorway. He was probably trying to find a decent cup of tea. Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh, you can find them! How fun. I wish life was exactly this... quirky and filled with fun noise. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your time off. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, life should be more La Dolce Vita than 12 Monkeys... Jx

      Delete
  3. Have a swell time off dear. Will you be having a potter in the garden Im sure? Or traveling any where?

    On a side note, Id wear my hair like that everyday if I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pottering in the garden in between thunderstorms and general drizzle, methinks. The forecast is crap! In the absence of our Amsterdam trip, I have no plans to venture very far now - but who knows?

      I could see Pam Demic in a wig like that. Jx

      Delete
  4. The land of sun
    Today I'm so glad,
    I'm almost going to cry from this happiness!
    But is it true or not that I've come back to Naples?
    But is it true that I'm here?
    The train was yet in a station
    When I've heard the first mandolins.

    This is the land of the sun!
    This is the land of the sea!
    This is the land where all words
    Are sweet or bitter,
    But always are words of love!

    This all is my destiny!
    How could I search a fortune abroad if I want to live here?
    Give me the wine, I want to drink so much wine,
    I need to get drunk!
    In these four walls I'm happy:
    My mom is beside me, and my beloved sings.

    This is the land of the sun!
    This is the land of the sea!
    This is the land where all words
    Are sweet or bitter,
    But always are words of love!

    possibly, she began drinking on the bus and they decided to dump her off in naples

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably had enough of her nonsense when she started playing a damned mandolin. Jx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. She borrowed them from Yootha Joyce for the video. Jx

      Delete
    2. I was gonna say, that's one hell of a Freddy Mercury overbite! Let's all chip in and see if we can't buy a wig like that for Miss Pam Demic.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. One has to say it in a Victoria Wood accent. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]