Tuesday 2 November 2021

Maybe a great magnet pulls all souls towards truth


Back to the office again...

Among a vast slew of "unlikely bedfellows" sharing a birthday today that includes Marie Antoinette, Stephanie Powers, Steve Ditko, Brian Poole (of the Tremeloes) and Bruce Welch (of the Shadows) - who are both 80 years old - Luchino Visconti, Nelly, Daniel Boone, David Schwimmer, Sid Luft, Samantha Womack, Burt Lancaster, Keith Emerson, Maxine Nightingale and Queen Sofía of Spain, the lovely k.d. lang blows out 60 candles on her cake!

A good excuse to wallow in the great lady's vocal lushness and take our minds off work...

Even through the darkest phase
Be it thick or thin
Always someone marches brave
Here beneath my skin

Constant craving
Has always been

Maybe a great magnet pulls
All souls towards truth
Or maybe it is life itself
That feeds wisdom
To its youth

Constant craving
Has always been

Craving
Ah ha
Constant craving
Has always been

Constant craving
Has always been

Constant craving
Has always been

Craving
Ah ha
Constant craving
Has always been
Has always been
Has always been
Has always been
Has always been
Has always been

Ah, that's better..

15 comments:

  1. I used to go to a pub to watch k d lang perform before she became a household name, and she was fabulous right from the start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a set of pipes on her! Another in a long line of dykes-with-lovely-voices - like Dusty Springfield, Bessie Smith, Lea DeLaria, Queen Latifah, Alberta Hunter, Clare Teal and so on... Jx

      Delete
  2. She's hot too. And I'm straight.

    And she was friends with Peggy Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet she's confused a few straight girls...

    ... Probably a few gay men too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also that article is disappointing. I was hoping they would either have a more adversarial relationship or that at some point they shagged, or both

    ReplyDelete
  5. For my money...Cohen gave us the magical lyrics and his recording was wonderful...and then along came k.g.lang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're talking about Hallelujah, I can't bear that song, whoever sings it. I have been known to run across the room to switch off the radio when it is played. Jx

      Delete
    2. Do you like Leonard Cohen generally? As he seems to be quite Marmitey.

      Delete
    3. No. I am not a fan of Mr Cohen per se, but I have featured him in this blog before here and on the occasion of his death here. Jx

      Delete
    4. Cheers. I love Leonard Cohen and don't know why people find him depressing

      Delete
  6. K.D. is a classic. Lost her way a bit, but I bet she's happy. Such a milestone. And Maxine Nightingale! She escaped the dreaded one hit wonder category. Right Back To Where We Started From and Lead Me On. Sigh. Oh, those were the days. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lovely Miss Nightingale only had two hits here, too - although the second one was Love Hit Me (which I don't remember at all). Jx

      Delete
  7. I always sang Instant Gravy.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misheard lyrics - a great source of amusement, as I recall, on the Mike Read show on Radio 1... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]