Wednesday 10 November 2021

She would merengue and do the...

Five years ago today I posted a tribute to the ebullient bandleader Billy May on the occasion of his centenary. In his comment on it, my other half Madam Arcati said: "His Cha Cha Cha album is the campest thing ever pressed into vinyl."

So, to celebrate Mr May's 105th anniversary, I thought you might like to judge that bold claim for yourself, dear reader - by listening to the whole album!

Get your spangly frocks out of the wardrobe, and prepare to Cha-Cha...

Whew! I'm knackered now!

Edward William "Billy" May, Jr (10th November 1916 – 22nd January 2004)

10 comments:

  1. Oo, that 'Artistry in Rythym' number had my little heart going pitty-pat! Madam Arcati is absolutely correct: this stuff really is camp as tits and I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is like when other blogs roll out 30 pics per post. You start trying to keep track of your favorites and by the end you've lost count and can't remember which is what number. The third track is very interesting. The first a classic. And then? I start really loving them. The only track I found ridiculous was track #5. Thanks for sharing. But, you know, honey... just like when you land a big one after a night of disco dancing? Sometimes too much of a good thing isn't a good thing! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard The Poor People of Paris before, God knows where though, probably at the Cafe de Paris, Puerto de la Cruz in Tenerife North, where it is always the 1960/70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...or the Casablanca Cocktail Bar in Sitges, which was the campest place in town! Sadly now closed as the owners have retired. Jx

      Delete
  4. In the Mood Cha-Cha!!! That is genius!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]