Saturday 6 November 2021

There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle


Dame Joan approves...

Time again, dear reader, for a selection of some of the "newer" choons that have caught my ear of late - and guess what? Most of them are by artists we love and cherish...

Let's open with a corker from a band who have been performing together as a unit for forty years, with a brilliant "spot-the-celebrity" video, to boot!

A "blast-from-the-past" here, in the form of the once-very-fanciable Dr Robert and chums - contemporaries of Duran Duran, yet disappeared without a murmur for several years:

Next, a man whose career began a whole decade later, yet has carved himself a niche in the public consciouness as an "eccentric treasure". Our "gang" is hoping to get to see the new Wes Anderson movie The French Dispatch some time soon, and Mr Cocker's contribution to the soundtrack is here accompanied by an animated video directed by none other than Mr Anderson himself!

Taking a little diversion from the "oldies-but-goodies", here's a beautiful little number from Italy that rather tickled my fancy, both in its original form...

...and in this remix by the omnipresent HiFi Sean:

Another band we've loved for decades is back on top form with this excellent choon:

And, finally, a world-beating team-up of Our Princess Kylie with a 21st century hit-maker - and a fab camp "Dynasty-meets-Taboo"-style video to go with it!

As ever, let me know your thoughts...

11 comments:

  1. There're some great videos here! Those for "Anniversary", "Aline", and "Kiss of Life" - Fabulous!

    My favourites are easy to pick as I've been listening to them over and over while putting together Mitzi's Garden Photos Event post: "Anniversary", Hifi Sean's remix of "A Che Ora L'amore" and "Kiss of Life". (I think I've listened to "A Che Ora L'amore" the most).

    Erasure have disappointed me yet again. I much prefer the more sophisticated/complex arrangements of their music up to (and including) Erasure of 1995.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the Erasure one was rather good, but I am pleased you enjoyed some of the others. That Hi-Fi Sean mix is fantabulosa! Jx

      Delete
    2. PS Yet another "tip of the hat" to Miss Ana Matronic, on whose show I first heard it - I can almost hear her singing along!

      Delete
  2. The Anniversary video - there's a lookalike there who looks mostly like a young Alan Titchmarsh, than anyone super famous. Anyhow - nice to see and hear anything from Duran Duran.
    I used to like Dr Robert!!
    Aline - Is that a French version of Creep by Radiohead - just reminds me of it!?
    I like the Erasure one, and I like Jess & kylie too!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know - Alan Titchmarsh might have a lookey-likey of his own! I am not sure if Thom Yorke was inspired by Christophe or any of the great 60s chansonniers, but I suppose it's possible...

      Glad you enjoyed the selection! Jx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. 'Tis the season for the spammers, unfortunately. Someone or something called "Ratana"'s being doing the rounds... Jx

      Delete
    2. I've taken a risk and set it back to normal again now. Fingers crossed. Jx

      Delete
  4. So many winners. Adore Kiss of Life. The vid is too much. And the Durannies a pitch perfect. That vid is inspired, the song rather fun. Erasure? You can never go wrong, dear. And The Blow Monkeys! Blow my mind. Digging Your Scene was as chilling as it was danceable. Thanks for the choons. So much to love. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Duran Duran video - so clever!

      This selections seems to be a bit of a crowd-pleaser, methinks. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]