Thursday 23 December 2021

Gregory, the Yuletide Crab Louse


All dressed up, and nowhere to go
Write a Christmas hit and you’ll never have to work again. Just follow these tried-and-tested steps:

Sort your festive sounds
You must have at least one of the following clichés: sleigh bells, handbells, French horn or other brass instrument, crunching snow, choir, children’s choir, singing animals, eg. frogs. These are more important than whether the song is in any way listenable.

Write a fucking annoying tune
Bash away at a Casio keyboard until you’ve got a sing-song tune that you both hate and haunts you. If it combines the worst elements of Paul McCartney’s Wonderful Christmastime and the Nokia ringtone, you’re onto a winner.

Choose your genre
Pick one of the following:

  • Party song – the lyrics should be total nonsense, eg. ‘Santa’s knockin’, Grandma’s bobbing, Rudolf’s drinking nog from egg’. Suggested title Rockin’ Around the Robin.
  • Totally mundane festive activity song – like Chris Rea’s Driving Home for Christmas, write a song that’s relatable because everyone fucking does it, eg. ‘Lighting the oven, yes we’re lighting the oven’. Suggested title We’re Lighting the Oven.
  • Love song – can be sickeningly upbeat or wistful bollocks about an ill-fated romance, eg ‘Tears on my chocolates, tears in the snow/My heart is cold this Christmas time, why did you have to go?’ Suggested title You’re My Pig in a Blanket (upbeat) or I’m Crying at the Christmas Lights Switch-On (featuring Peter Andre) (sad).
  • No more war song – should not offer constructive ways of resolving conflict, just vague sentimentality eg ‘No presents round the tree in the middle of this war/The little orphan girl looks so sad and says ‘What’s it all for?’ Suggested title Let’s Wish for Peace this Christmas.
  • Novelty song – any straining Christmas cash-in that might prove implausibly popular, eg ‘The night before Christmas, and all through the house, nothing was stirring except Gregory, the Yuletide crab louse’. Suggested title Gregory, the Yuletide Crab Louse.

Record your masterpiece
Hire a studio and some jaded session musicians. Release it and make a fortune. In years to come the royalties will probably pay for a yacht, which is where you’ll become a seasonal recluse because it’s the only place to avoid hearing your own fucking song.

The Daily Mash

Of course.

16 comments:

  1. HAPPY CHRISTMAS, JON!!!!!!!!!
    I could do something interesting to Paul McCartney with a plate of mine pies and a long woolly scarf - oh to never hear that wretched tune ever again!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could cheerfully murder Shakin'-bloody-Stevens, Wizzard, Dame Cliff, Screaming Mimi and the rest as well... Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear. No wonder she looks so glum. All those red baubles are a sure sign that her white bush has become infested with Gregory, the Yuletide crab louse and his chums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and that wig's crawling with them, I bet! Jx

      Delete
  3. Would someone please take away Sir Paul's knighthood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he can't sing, so he's trading under false pretences. HM The Queen should be told... Jx

      Delete
  4. Everyone who has ever recorded a single christmas note should be dragged out and shot. Even if they're already dead. Especially if they're already dead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses and Gaudete by Steeleye Span but that's about all.

    I hate those vomit inducing Christmas films, you know the ones, I watched 25 seconds of Christmas a la Carte yesterday "Hi Sweetie-pie" said a dad to his shit-head daughter "oh fuck-off"! and I really don't like that Marc Jacobs Daisy Daisy Daisy Daisy Daisy advert. I'm off to pour myself a large Baileys for my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do make an exception for The Waitresses, and for Kirsty MacColl and the Pogues, but Steeleye Span always got on my tits.

      As for Xmas films, I can't even stomach White Christmas - despite the presence of Rosie Clooney and Vera-Ellen and that "drag queen standard" Sisters. The very idea of watching some third-rate straight-to-video "Holiday" [sic - why the fuck can't Americans just say "Christmas"?] film featuring a load of people I've never heard of or, worse, Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler, would be enough to make me throw up my egg-nog.

      Jx

      Delete
    2. White Christmas is one of those films where I wish the female leads would just shack up together at the end. Cannot see the appeal of Bing Crosby at all. And is it me or does he always *sound* Republican?

      Delete
    3. Being British, with no interest whatsoever in US politics, I have no idea what a Republican "sounds like". He had a genial vocal style, whether in the Big Bands or as a crooner, but I wouldn't say I was ever a big fan. Jx

      Delete
  6. Adore all of it. Every glitzy, cliché-ridden, greedy little cash grab. They all capture the season - which is about buying THINGS! Adore the holidays. I actually would be fine with just the music and the decor and nothing else... well, maybe mashed potatoes and vegetarian stuffing. Merry Xmas, darling! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but it's that guilt-trip of feeling one has to buy things for other people that makes it even worse. I like to shop for me, and gifts are for birthdays...

      I don't even like tinsel. Jx

      Delete
  7. Well, here is one American who might help to jolly you up. I really don't mind how you spend it...just have fun, chums. kizzes (thank you, Zir for that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who's "Zir"? Was there meant to be a link? Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]