Wednesday 22 December 2021

Melodías miscelánea

With all this crap Xmas music dominating the airwaves at the moment, I think it's time for a selection of some of the "newer" choons that have caught my ear of late...

Let's start with a singer whose voice really made me sit up and take notice - Jacob Lusk of Gabriels!

From the sublime to...the return of - ahem - Tight Fit?!!

They've obviously been listening to Steps...

At last! Ollie's got the chance to "play the Princess" - it is panto season, after all...[Oh, yes it is!]

Here's a couple of our fave fierce Spanish divas who wouldn't look out of place in a Panto, either, with this range of outfits:

This next couple really need to "get a room"...

A song that's become a bit of an "anthem for the pandemic era", it actually began life as a conversation on Zoom:

Next up, a mindfuck. Once you've seen this slice of weirdness from BBC Sounds of 2022 nominees Wet Leg, you can never "unsee" it:

Saving the best to last - this!

As always, dear reader - let me know your thoughts.

10 comments:

  1. Tis the season, dear one. I am all about the holiday choons. Each year, I discover one that I despised the year before is now a favorite. I can't help it... I try to resist. But like a night at the club... I keep getting sucked in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is nothing more annoying than hearing every other song full of silver bells, brass bands, moronic lyrics, children's choirs and all that false "party jollity". The Daily Mash has the formula. Of course. Jx

      Delete
  2. I’m too old for clubs but I still dance on my own x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - Jacob Lusk has a good voice!
    Tight Fit???? Okay - not as bad as I thought it would be!
    Years and Years - obviously going for the FGES look.
    The fierce Spanish divas....I wish I understood Spanish!!!
    Hard Feelings is very clubby - so hopefully we haven't lost dancing forever!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we haven't "lost dancing" either! I'm bopping around (again) to Sister Infinity as we speak... Jx

      Delete
  4. Hmmm... Rather oddly, none of these are really speaking (singing?) to me.

    Tight Fit are suitably cheesy, but what's going on with all that creepy touching in the video? Denise and Julie have exressions on their faces that make me think they've been forced to feel up Steve's muscles!
    "Sweet Talker" is okay, if a bit forgettable.
    Wet Leg's "Too Late Now" is the standout for me (the video reminds me of those the Smack The Pony girls used to do).
    However, my favourites are Bananarama's "Look on the Floor" and "Love in the First Degree" from the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tight Fit always were a bit - ahem - "strained" in their performances, what with it being obvious even to the most naive granny that Steve was gayer than Elton John and Freddie Mercury in the back of a pink Mini, and the girls playing the "Lavender Beard" role.

      I always find Years & Years songs amazingly forgettable; I included this here more for the video than any other reason. Speaking of videos, Wet Leg are indeed amazing, and very, very odd indeed.

      Modern music does regularly only serve to show how infinitely superior bands of my/your generation really were! Nothing and no-one has yet matched the sheer chutzpah of Bananarama. Jx

      Delete
  5. Some fab tunes and videos there.
    Ollie is just so sweet and playful
    Loved the Hard Feelings vid
    but Naranjo is just awesome !

    All have now been downloaded and added to the 'Delargo Towers' Pick of the Pops 2021 collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blessed Madonna may have "lost dancing" - but as long as DJ Dolores has a say in the matter, and as long there's a living-room to dance in, we never will! Jx

      PS Monica Naranjo is the "new Shirley Bassey", as far as I'm concerned - what a voice! Try doing that, Miss Robyn Rihanna Fenty or Signorina Ariana Grande-Butera...

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]