Thursday 30 December 2021

So get your mind made up, call me on the telephone

In previous years I might have taken this opportunity - in this "bit in the middle" - to put in a load of effort, go back month-by-month, and choose a variety of tracks that have caught my attention during the year to produce a summary of fave choons.

This year - when everything we might have hoped for (after the initial arrival of COVID in 2020, and the expectation that that was it) was cancelled or fucked-over, including our usual break in Spain in February, our Eurovision party, visits to Kew Gardens, Gay Pride, the annual pilgrimage to Amsterdam for my birthday, our regular picnic, Proms in the Park, and now our New Years' Eve bash - I say stuff that!

There is only ONE song from this year I really think deserves the prize...

They remain the campest thing under the sun, and I love them!

Fuck you, 2021.

[A cornucopia of previous musical choices from this, and previous years, is available if you clink the "Pick of the Pops" label at the foot of this blog post]

12 comments:

  1. Oh, definitely! To Steps getting the prize, and 2021 - and 2020 - fucking off. In fact, I don't think 2020 and 2021 count, so we're all two years younger than our birth years would have us believe. (Except Ms Scarlet, who is another 10 years younger than that!)

    'Clink' the "Pick of the Pops" label, you say? Let me just get a couple of glasses of gin and I'll do just that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for slicing a couple of years off my age - please would someone tell the mirror, however?

      Good luck with your epic quest to trawl through all my "Pick of the Pops" posts. This blog is fifteen years old next year! Jx

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with you re: 2021 - what a crapfest. And rather loved the collabs between Visage and Steps. Adult pop fun. Thank you, dear... for a lovely year of fabulous thoughts, images and music. Your take on pop culture is impressive and inclusive. It's why I've become a daily visitor! Wishing you the very best. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Uptonking! It's always nice to have a new "regular"...

      Let;s look forward to more sparkliness and fun in 2022! Jx

      Delete
  3. I said, "Blow 2021 out yer arse" but "Fuck you, 2021" is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I said 'well 2021 has to be a better year than the last'.
    How wrong could you be !
    Nothing wrong with Steps though. They are just fabulous and I love them to bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't have predicted another year of lockdowns, cancellations and disappointments - nor the shitty weather to go with it. Fingers crossed for 2022, and all hail Steps! Jx

      Delete
  5. I think it's worse for you...we've got Scotty-From-Marketing pretending to run the country and half the cabinet are dirty old(ish) men, but you've got Boris.
    Definitely get a T shirt and add those two wastrels.
    But have a bit of a wing-ding as they go. Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boris may be a buffoon, but as a whole the national response to COVID has been impressive. Australia's only recently caught up, but we're up to around 90% of adults fully jabbed, notwithstanding boosters on top...

      Roll on 2022, when hopefully everyone will at least have some protection from the dreaded 'Rona. Jx

      Delete
  6. I'm going to treat 2021 with the contempt it deserves and not bother with reviewing it.
    Roll on 2022!
    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contempt is exactly what this year deserves... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]