Monday 20 December 2021

Hoop-dee-doo, hoop-dee-doo, I hear a polka and my troubles are through


[For IDV]

With so much time taken up by preparing what to wear for, actually getting to (in the middle of a tube strike), being fabulous at, and recovering from Our Sally's birthday gathering on Saturday night, this last weekend before the dreaded Tinsel-time flew by even quicker than usual! Hey ho - at least I only have two cards to send, as (hopefully, threatened Omicron-panic-lockdown permitting) we'll be seeing Mother in the bit in-between, and the rest of the present exchanges can wait till New Year's Eve when (again, hopefully) we'll be hosting our first party since 2019.

Just one more week in work to go before all that, however - and to wake us up on this Tacky Music Monday, I've found something completely cheesy that fits the bill!

Far to chirpy for this early in the morning, but at least I'm awake now...

Hoop-dee-doo, hoop-dee-doo
I hear a polka and my troubles are through
Hoop-dee-doo, hoop-dee-dee
This kind of music is like heaven to me
Hoop-dee-doo, hoop-dee-doo
Has got me higher than a kite
Hand me down my soup and fish
I am gonna get my wish
Hoop-dee-doin' it tonight

When there's a trombone playin'
I get a thrill, I always will
When there's a concertina stretched about a mile
I always smile 'cause that's my style
When there's a fiddle in the middle
Oh, it really is a riddle how he plays a tune so sweet
Plays a tune so sweet that I could die
Lead me to the floor and hear me yell for more
'Cause I'm a hoop-dee-doin' kind of guy

(Hoop-dee-doo), hoop-dee-doo
(Hoop-dee-doo), hoop-de-doo
(I hear a polka and my troubles are through)
Ha, ha, ha
(Hoop-dee-doo), hoop-dee-doo
(Hoop-dee-dee) hoop-de-dee
(This kind of music is like heaven to me)

Oh, hoop-dee-doo (hoop-hee-doo)
Hoop-dee-doo (hoop-Dee-Doo)
Has got me higher than a kite
Hand me down my soup and fish
I am gonna get my wish
Hoop-dee-doin' it tonight

(When there's a trombone playin')
Ah, ha, ha, ha
(He gets a thrill)
I get a thrill, I always will
(He always will)
(When there's a concertina stretched about a mile
I always smile (You'll see him smile)
'Cause that's my style (Oh, that's his style)
When there's a fiddle in the middle
Oh, it really is a riddle how he plays a tune so sweet
(Plays a tune so sweet that we could die)
Ah, yes lead me to the floor and hear me yell for more
'Cause I'm a hoop-dee-doin' kind of guy

Ooooh, hoop-dee-doo, hoop-dee-doo
It's got us higher than a kite
They're in clover, we're in bloom
When we're dancin' give us room
Hoop-de-doin' it with all of our might
Rain may fall and snow may come
Nothin's gonna stop us from
Hoop-dee-doin' it
Hoop-dee-doin' it

Hoop-dee-doin' it tonight

Classic lyrics.

Have a good week, dears.

28 comments:

  1. Myron Florin and the Welk girls?!?! They still play the reruns here on Saturday nights at 7.

    I won't be hosting my New Year's Eve party again this year, but invited to one by my good friends near the ancestral home. I can see a black out already as my friend's husband make a nice stiff one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "They still play the reruns here on Saturday nights at 7." Why? Is there not enough modern crap to show? Thankfully, the UK had sufficient dreadful variety shows of its own so we escaped the Welk...

      A nice stiff one - start the year as you mean to go on, I say! Jx

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha! They play it because the old folk here still watch it. It still has a huge and loyal following even though they are in repeats. The PBS plays them. Once they are all passed on, goodness knows what will come of it.

      I will admit to watching the Christmas shows if I'm home or not otherwise busy. I would swear there were a lot of closet cases on that show.

      Delete
    3. It wouldn't be the first time a god-botherer was hiding a smutty little secret... Jx

      Delete
  2. Two cards???!!!!! TWO CARDS!!! I'm kinda jealous.
    Have a good week!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're just the "guilt ones" (Mother and sister). No-one else gets a card. That's what email is for. Jx

      Delete
    2. I've already sent you a card. It has a reindeer.

      Delete
    3. I ate it. It was a bit tough. Jx

      Delete
  3. Watched the show faithfully every Saturday evening - before the regular shows began. It was so shiny. I didn't care for some of the singing (The Lovely Norma Zimmer) and couldn't understand why these people were devoting their talents to it (they couldn't do better?) But then years later, learned what a tyrant Welk was to work for and all THE RULES. So, now I view the whole thing as the celebration of one cult leaders refusal to let go of the past. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all looks far too "god-botherer" to me. I'm very glad we had crap like "Summertime Special" or "The Clodagh Rodgers Show" - and classic telly like "Morecambe and Wise" and "The Two Ronnies" - in prime time here instead. Jx

      Delete
  4. I always thought Welk was Scary when I was a Kid, so when Years later I also learned he wasn't a very nice person, I'm not Surprised... Kids and Animals often have an Instinct about people. My Parents watched that show religiously tho', I doubt I'd watch the reruns, didn't like it in my Youth, doubt I'd be Nostalgic about it now. But, some of the Old Christmas Specials are Sentimental to me, I LOVED Dean Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny the number of people whose outward screen personality was chirpy and friendly turned out to be right miserable old ogres in real life - Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, Rod Hull, Charlie Drake (the late television producer Michael Hurll hated all of them). Then there's Ellen DeGeneres, Mike Myers, Chevy Chase, Noel Fielding, Kevin Bacon - the list goes on and on... Jx

      Delete
    2. Was anyone grumpy on screen but lovely in real life? When Sean Lock died this year I was surprised how loved he was as a person, loads of people testifying to how kind he'd been. Jeremy Hardy too, but he was not grumpy as much as exasperated.

      Delete
    3. Apparently Gordon Ramsey's quite nice in real life. Jx

      Delete
    4. Oh Jon, you've now gone and ruined Gordon Ramsey's Street Cred! *LOL*

      Delete
  5. Ah, thank you for the wreath Jon - very festive. Although that bow is covering up Ricardo Montalbans impressive chest! (I think I might indulge in a re-watch of Start Trek II, III and IV this festering period)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christ! Bloody auto-correct! 'STAR' Trek, of course.

      Delete
    2. I never fancied him - particularly not in that fright wig he wore as "Khan". However, you may be interested to see him this clip of him when he was 21 as "The Latin from Staten Island"... Jx

      Delete
    3. Oh, I never fancied him either, but his chest in that splayed open Starfleet jacket was a sight to behold! (You're right about the wig though - Zelda from Terrahawks springs to mind...)

      As the Latin from Staten Island, he was quite the cutie!

      Delete
  6. A party? I think I remember them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Just about. And it's in the balance (again) whether this government's going to lock us all down again "for our own good" before we get a chance to host our first one since 2019... Jx

      Delete
  7. Parties? Even my memories have cobwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'I could dance to Lawrence Welk if I had to'
    But luckily I Don't !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Do you relate to the music of Leslie Gore?"
      "Look, she ain't no James Brown... but I can dance to Lawrence Welk if I have to."


      I think I would prefer Leslie Gore and James Brown to Mr Welk. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]